Question Constantly resetting one leg of mesh network? (Tp-link deco x25)

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I just bought and set up the TP-Link Deco X25 3 part mesh network.

Goal was to improve wifi to my basement, so I have one with the main router/modem in my wifes closet. (I know it is not an ideal spot).

The other heads are in my living room directly above my PC in the basement, and the third is directly next to my PC in the basement.

It did a great job of brining me from 20 mbps to over 150-200 in the basement which is plenty for my needs but it seems to constantly drop down to a 1-2mbps crawl randomly and the way to resolve it is unplugging the deco next to my PC? Is it bad for it to be directly next to the PC for some reason or is something defective? I do have a 6ghz capable modem as well but I opted to go with the 5ghz setup due to the mesh network price being $180 vs $400.

My desktop has a wifi 6 PCI-E card in it. The deco is about 2 feet above it on top of my desk with the PC on the floor.

Ralston18

Titan
This product?

TP-Link Deco X25 (3 Pack)

Metal desk?

Start by swapping in a known working, at speed, Ethernet cable for the deco next to your PC. That being the "crawling PC" - correct?

Next try swapping the heads between basement location and "crawling" location. Determine if the slowness follows the head or stays with the current location.

If the problem stays with the location then try relocating the head about using extensions, etc. to move the head around some to determine if that improves performance.

Change only one thing at a time allowing time between changes.

Be methodical and keep notes.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Wood top metal frame desk.

I am in the process of changing some outlets behind my TV so I can put the deco on the mantle across the room. I just need to free up the outlet occupied by a fire stick with a usb outlet.

So do you have a ethernet cable run to any of the remote repeaters or are you doing

main unit--wifi---remote1---wifi--remote 2---wifi pc.

Placing the unit next to your pc is not the optimum placement. If your pc gets a poor signal from the unit in the living room then the deco device will get the same poor signal and repeat it making it even worse.

You really want to avoid any wifi repeaters in the path and having 2 is even worse. In addition to all the overhead of those repeaters you now have 3 wifi signals that can be interfered with.

The mesh units think everything is magic so they give you very little indication of what is happening. Could be your pc is switching to a different radio