Constellation drive mixed with Desktop HDD

Solution
Even though it would be best to have the same drives, I think that you will have no issues with installing that enterprise drive.

Keep in mind that its performance may be bottlenecked, if the other drives have poorer performance.

D_Know_WD :)
Hi there Etterblaps,

I believe some more information would be of help.

What do you mean by mixed? Some kind of RAID? Are the drives the same capacity?

Generally, enterprise drives are more durable than the consumer ones. Yet, I believe a desktop HDD should work.

Cheers,

Etterblaps

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Hi D_Know

okay so we have a separate datastore for our backup environment . RAID6 configured.
at the moment our backup guy is using normal desktop HDD's everytime to replace a failed drive.

so now I want to start using Constellation drives instead for obvious reasons... the drives are the same capacity (3TB)...
so everytime now when we have a failed drive, I want to replace it with a constellation drive instead of a normal Desktop HDD.

will I be running into any issues if I do it like this ? (This is what I mean by mixing the drives... desktop hdd and constellation drives..

cheers..

Even though it would be best to have the same drives, I think that you will have no issues with installing that enterprise drive.

Keep in mind that its performance may be bottlenecked, if the other drives have poorer performance.

Solution