constructive criticism for my future pc i5 6600k build

rakigab

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
i plan to go on this build and oc in the long run so i especially picked i5 6600k,i dont have any hsf and avr yet. for the hsf i want something non water cooler which can stand oc but if there isn't anything you can suggest, then suggest some water coolers instead(if there is no other choice). open for constructive criticism which will make my build better. my budget is around $1100 for the rig

processor - i5 6600k
hsf -
mobo - asus z170 pro gaming
gpu - msi gtx 1060 OC
ssd - samsung evo 120gb
hdd - seagate 1tb (barracuda 7200rpm)
ram - g.skill ripjaws ddr4 2400frq 4x4gb(16gb) quad channel
psu - seasonic m12ii 620w
case - tecware alpha

Solution
I'm saying go with 2x8GB (Dual Channel), and NO that motherboard does not support Quad Channel (nor is it needed).

4x4GB would just be two separate Dual Channel configurations. With 2x8GB you leave two slots free in case you later want more memory.

I agree on the i5-6600K if possible.

That motherboard (asus z170 pro gaming) is pretty nice. Good audio solution etc.
There's no way that's $1100. I'm 100% certain that I or someone else from the forum will suggest you a build that is much better.

Also there is practically no reason to go with a K series Skylake since even the non-K's can be overclocked with the right motherboard.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($120.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card ($385.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cougar Volant (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1090.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-20 22:38 EDT-0400

rakigab

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
im sorry, that is what i calculated and just converted Philippine peso to USD, i calculated the price of each item and the total is around 50,000php at the shops in my country which is equivalent to $1087. conversion is 1(USD) = 46(php). but nevermind the budget

quick points:

1) 4x4GB is pointless. You need a quad-channel kit and supported motherboard. (and it won't help you likely for these CPU's)

2) Include the cost of Windows.

3) i7-6700 doesn't make sense to me. An i7-6700K is $20 more, and it's 5% faster before overclocking.

4) I would recommend Samsung 850 EVO, even if it costs more than some other SSD's. I'd start with 256GB, and separate 1TB or 2TB HDD.

5) make sure the CASE has good fans, front USB3, has a DVD slot (external 5.25") if needed

6) *I would not get a "Mini ITX" GTX1070 for a large case. It has one fan, so it won't cool as well and probably is much louder than cards with two fans.

7) Some CPU's have no cooler. Of those that do, i suggest a better one like the Cryorig H7.

You can't just convert though, as pricing is probably different. Chances are buying in United States is cheaper so may want to aim for no more than $900USD.

When I put in the parts (including CPU cooler, and Windows 10, GTX1060) it came to $1200USD.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/m8PwzM

I decided to simply post the build though, because knowing what to change is a hassle if I don't know the EXACT price of things and budget.

If it is LESS, then I would attempt to keep a GTX1060 by getting a different motherboard, case, CPU perhaps... but some people want slightly different things. You may want a particular CASE so that impacts things.

*I like the Asus Z170-A motherboard. There are cheaper ones that are missing features and may be lower quality.

Finally, GPU availability and pricing is still a problem. One option is to build the PC now and use the iGPU, then add the graphics card later in a month or so.

rakigab

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

for number 1, i dont really get it but what do you prefer/suggest, i would still like to go for my original build with your additional suggestion. does asus z170 pro gaming not support quad channel. any improvements/suggestions for the build is appreciated. thank you :)
PS: ill still go for i5 6600k

I'm saying go with 2x8GB (Dual Channel), and NO that motherboard does not support Quad Channel (nor is it needed).

4x4GB would just be two separate Dual Channel configurations. With 2x8GB you leave two slots free in case you later want more memory.

I agree on the i5-6600K if possible.

That motherboard (asus z170 pro gaming) is pretty nice. Good audio solution etc.

Solution

rakigab

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

i see, i checked asus z170 pro gaming again and noticed, it says supports dual channel. so for now i changed the ram to dual channel in my current build. And okay ill go for gtx 1060 which is 6gb just like you said. although i still dont have a hsf and an avr. i asked my friends about it but they are not updated with good hsf and avr's. any changes that i missed? do you want to change these?
processor - i5 6600k
hsf -
mobo - asus z170 pro gaming
gpu - msi gtx 1060 6gb OC
ssd - samsung 850 evo 250gb
hdd - seagate 1tb (barracuda 7200rpm)
ram - g.skill ripjaws ddr4 2400frq 2x8gb(16gb) dualchannel
psu - seasonic m12ii 620w
case - tecware alpha

Nothing glaring...
a) not sure which exact model of GTX1060, but I recommend one with TWO fans
(and again, PRICING and availability is currently a problem but you CAN go ahead and build the system without it and use the iGPU which is okay for light gaming)

b) 2666MHz CL15 or 16 recommended. With an i5-6600K you can find scenarios where lower is losing a bit of performance. PRICE isn't much different.
(some may argue to go 3000MHz, and it's true but far less likely and the VOLTAGE also jumps to 1.35V instead of 1.2V which adds stress to the Memory Controller in the CPU)

c) Cooler?
Cheapest I recommend is the Cryorig H7. It's pretty good for a very light overclock.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/9.html

You should also setup a BIOS profile, and install the Asus software to use the fan control (whatever they call it now). Ask about how to optimize that later if unsure, but a quick estimate is 40% fan speed until about 45degC then ramp up for CPU.

d) SSD - I like that one.
*You should install Samsung Magician once setup. It has several features. It can benchmark, setup Overprovisioning (do so using default), and allow Windows profiles such as using Hibernation or not.

RAPID MODE can help in theory, but only demanding transfer tasks which max out your SSD's buffer. (it uses the system memory as a secondary buffer). It doesn't seem to hurt to enable it, though the BENCHMARK will be incorrect now since it basically tests the system memory which is not accurate to real-world experience.

e) CASE
- make sure you like having a WINDOW. Aside from looking into the PC, the lights from the motherboard and possibly the fan are going to show in a dark room.
- if the fans are VARIABLE, make sure they are attached to the motherboard and have a fan control profile for those as well

- *Make sure all your parts match color. If you're fine with that then okay. MEMORY should then be black or red likely, and graphics card either a black theme or black/red like some MSI cards. ( some versions of that case are WHITE, but I'd stick with a black case or black/grey. White plus red/black internals does not work well IMO)

RGB lighting on the graphics card is neat, though not all cards have it. Alternatively you can get inexpensive options later such as LED strips. Some case fans also have LEDs.

Other:
DVD burner?
They are about $15. You may have one, or think you don't need one. I suggest getting one if you don't have one unless absolutely sure you would never use it.

rakigab

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
so i bought it yesterday and here is what i got from the store, thankyou photonboy :)
processor: i5 6600k
hsf: corsair h60 liquid cooler (i got no chosen hsf in particular, so the store got me this)
mobo: msi z170A gaming pro (they got no stock of asus z170 pro gaming)
gpu: 6gb MSI GTX 1060 Armor Dual Fan OC dd5 192bit
ssd: 250gb samsung 750 evo series, ssd, sata (made me kinda sad, because it's only 750, is it bad?)
hdd: 1tb seagate barracuda 64mb (i dont really know the 64mb thing though)
ram: 16gb(dual) ddr4 2400 G.skill ripjaws V,red, cl15 1.2v (where can i see the MHz?, i dont see it at the label of the ram)
psu: seasonic s12ii 620w ( they got no seasonic m12ii which is full modular, but this is still okay for me also, since i can hide the wires in the tecware alpha case)
case: tecware alpha black

PS: any good/bad comments is highly appreciated, i just wanna know if i did good/bad at buying on my own.