Consumer Reports: Fisker Karma Hybrid Car is Full of Flaws

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
It's a sports car. Limited visibility and a tight compartment comes with the territory. Confusing dashboard? - Welcome to the computer age! And it's electric... What kind of roar are you expecting?

Geez call the fashion police!

Yuppies...

If it is not durable and able to take some abuse then I won't do people like me any good. I live out in the country but in town the roads are worse. They finally started filling the in the pot holes that were once as big as kitchen sinks!

I like Consumer Reports, but they might want to stick with the refrigerators on this one - LOL

And, not that I would recommend this type of behavior (heh-heh), but the Fisker Karma would eat up something like the Blue Ridge Parkway.

f-14

Distinguished
3 recalls:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/fisker/karma/recalls/
Recall ID # 91911 - ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM:FAN
Recall Date:
AUG 22, 2012
Model Affected:
2012 Fisker Karma
Summary:
Fisker Automotive (Fisker) is recalling certain model year 2012 Fisker Karma passenger cars manufactured from June 15, 2011, through July 9, 2012. A manufacturing defect in the low temperature cooling fan may result in a direct short.
Consequences:
A direct short may ignite the fan housing, shroud and surrounding components, causing a vehicle fire.
Remedy:
Fisker will notify owners, and dealers will remove the two potentially affected low temperature cooling fans and replace them with one improved low temperature cooling fan, free of charge. The safety recall began on August 24, 2012. Owners may contact Fisker consumer affairs at 1-855-575-7577, option 2, 6am - 7pm (pst) Monday through Friday.
Potential Units Affected:1377
Recall ID # 93184 - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: BATTERY: PROPULSION SYSTEM
Recall Date:
DEC 27, 2011
Model Affected:
2012 Fisker Karma
Summary:
FISKER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 FISKER KARMA PASSENGER CARS MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 1, 2011, THROUGH NOVEMBER 3, 2011. WITHIN THE HIGH-VOLTAGE BATTERY, CERTAIN HOSE CLAMPS MAY HAVE BEEN POSITIONED INCORRECTLY DURING ASSEMBLY. IF POSITIONED INCORRECTLY, THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT COVER COULD INTERFERE WITH THE HOSE CLAMPS, POTENTIALLY CAUSING A COOLANT LEAK FROM THE COOLING HOSES.
Consequences:
IF COOLANT ENTERS THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT, AN ELECTRICAL SHORT COULD OCCUR POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
FISKER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HIGH-VOLTAGE BATTERY WITH A NEW PART AT NO COST TO THE OWNER. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 5, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FISKER CONSUMER AFFAIRS AT 1-855-575-7577, OPTION 2, 6AM - 7PM (PST) MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.
Potential Units Affected:239
Recall ID # 93251 - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: BATTERY: PROPULSION SYSTEM
Recall Date:
MAY 30, 2012
Model Affected:
2012 Fisker Karma
Summary:
FISKER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 FISKER KARMA PASSENGER CARS MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 22, 2011, THROUGH JANUARY 20, 2012. WITHIN THE HIGH-VOLTAGE BATTERY, CERTAIN HOSE CLAMPS MAY HAVE BEEN POSITIONED INCORRECTLY DURING ASSEMBLY. IF POSITIONED INCORRECTLY, THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT COVER COULD INTERFERE WITH THE HOSE CLAMPS, POTENTIALLY CAUSING A COOLANT LEAK FROM THE COOLING HOSES. THIS RECALL IS AN EXPANSION OF SAFETY RECALL 11V-598.
Consequences:
IF COOLANT ENTERS THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT, AN ELECTRICAL SHORT COULD OCCUR POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
ALL KNOWN OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED AND INSTRUCTED NOT TO CHARGE OR DRIVE THE VEHICLE. OWNERS WILL BE ADVISED TO CONTACT AN AUTHORIZED FISKER DEALER WHO WILL ARRANGE TRANSPORTING THE VEHICLE DIRECTLY TO THEIR REPAIR FACILITY. THE REPAIR FACILITY WILL REPLACE THE HIGH-VOLTAGE BATTERY WITH A NEW PART, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 30, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FISKER CONSUMER AFFAIRS AT 1-855-575-7577, OPTION 2, 6AM - 7PM (PST) MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.
Potential Units Affected:19

hrhuffnpuff

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hate to see that car here in Montana where it can at least get to 40 below Fahrenheit. Well, at least I like to see it on fire with Beiber in the trunk. And for a 100k, a used 2011 ZR1 'Vette is way more fun to drive!

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Consumer Reports???

Stopped paying attention to their high nosed bs years ago when dozens of other credible outlets started publishing reviews, roundups, and reports for free.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The problem with their "professional opinion" is that it is fall on facets that are a matter of personal preference. They say it's too heavy, but you can say the same about most Mercedes/BMW/any American car. It's too tight or low visibility? That's every Ferrari or every sports car really. Confusing controls? Take five minutes to read the manual, otherwise it's something you probably never will use anyway. And the whole "roar" comment was nonsense, because everyone knows that an electric car is not gonna make noise like a V8. This is a disappointingly bad review from Consumer Reports.

I don't have money like these rich people but if I was on the market for an awesome looking car I'd get a black 2013 Ford Fusion. The new 2013 design makes it look like an Aston Martin DB9 in the front and a Jaguar in the back. Google it...
Best of all, it's affordable.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I don't have money like these rich people but if I was on the market for an awesome looking car I'd get a black 2013 Ford Fusion. The new 2013 design makes it look like an Aston Martin DB9 in the front and a Jaguar in the back. Google it...Best of all, it's affordable.[/citation]
Are there any job openings over there at the Ford marketing department where you work?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
52MPGe and only 20MPG if you don't plug in, because it is a series hybrid. Yes I know the Fisker Karma weighs 5300 pounds but the Model S weighs ~4700 pounds with the largest battery pack and still gets 89MPGe EPA. So why does the Fisker get such horrible electric MPGe? No regenerative braking?
To put it another way, buy a Prius and the car will use the same or less energy than a Fisker, even if you always plug-in the Fisker.

I hope for success with the Volt, Tesla, Aptera, Coda, Tango.

UVB076

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]The problem with their "professional opinion" is that it is fall on facets that are a matter of personal preference. They say it's too heavy, but you can say the same about most Mercedes/BMW/any American car. It's too tight or low visibility? That's every Ferrari or every sports car really. Confusing controls? Take five minutes to read the manual, otherwise it's something you probably never will use anyway. And the whole "roar" comment was nonsense, because everyone knows that an electric car is not gonna make noise like a V8. This is a disappointingly bad review from Consumer Reports.[/citation]
Actually Ferraris were (originally) supposed to have amazing visibility. Take a look at the Testarossa, that has an overabundance of visibility.

G

If I had that kind of money the last thing i would do is go out and buy a bieber mobile and a dud car at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.