Consumer Reports Tests iPhone 6 Plus Bending

Status
Not open for further replies.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
It's old news. Of course Apple users want to hear it's nothing.

The fact remains they've skimped on structural integrity and because of the materials used, the phone stays bent. (unlike other phones that can bend, but don't keep the bent shape)

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
While I'm not a fan of Apple, I think the report stating the problem is overblown is spot on. The amount of pressure needed to bend the phone is far beyond what would be normal use in someones pocket, and I figured there is no way Apple would make such a phone without going through extensive durability tests and real life trials to make sure it would stand up. With the millions they have sold there are only a fraction that have bent, which seems normal for just about any product.

condorxiii

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
It's old news. Of course Apple users want to hear it's nothing.

The fact remains they've skimped on structural integrity and because of the materials used, the phone stays bent. (unlike other phones that can bend, but don't keep the bent shape)

'Skimp' might not be the right word, but chose to leave out some structural rigidity to allow for a thinner phone. But it is confusing because I didn't hear any iPhone 5 or 5S users saying the phone was too thick, not sure where the necessity of change came from.

livewires

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
I think that the Consumer Reports test was not accurate. It applied the force evenly across then phone in an attempt to bend it in half. This would take more force than applying the force directly to a smaller area near the edge as done in the original video and this one which was performed in the open with witnesses. The phone bends way too easy for my taste and I own an iPhone 5S.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
all the tests that downplay the issues are all trying to apply force to the center of the phone, when in the videos and pictures it's quite clear that the point of bending is where the sidestructure has holes in it to allow for the buttons. this is a case of the phone got bent, and could MUCH more EASILY be bent when force is applied across the upper third of the body. other phones in the class and even the older iPhone5 do not suffer from this "weak spot" in their structure. These "Consumer Reports" (if you want to trust them) are quite likely bias and do not fairly represent the -ACTUAL- problem with the iPhone 6's structure.

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Since the phone is aluminum, which can be a soft metal (depending on the mix) and we are hearing about bending in pockets, I would think that the test would need to be done when the phone is at (or above) body temperature.
As a Lumia 1520 user, I carry my phone in cargo pockets...

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I've worked in tech support for 12 years, and have supported mobile devices of all sorts. I would assess warranty claims, and also process claims for people who purchased additional accidental coverage for structural or liquid damage.

Never once, in 12 years, have I ever seen a device bent. I've seen them run over by cars, stepped on, dropped, thrown, you name it. Never once was the device brought to the shop in a bent fashion - usually just cracks and chips.

I would say that if a mobile device were to bend, it would solely be intentional. And if you are careless enough to do so, then you don't deserve to own the device.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Such a world issue. Hopefully Hong Kong with prevail with it pro democracy rallies, and main land China will follow... Then all your stupid devices will cost 1000% more and then our "wonderful" American companies will start having African nations manufacture our must have devices! Then who know Ebola might take over the world!

I'm a structural engineer. Consumer Reports tested the phones in a simply supported beam configuration - supports at the two ends, pushing down in the middle. The 90 pounds they measured to bend the iPhone 6 (70 for the 6+) is thus actually double the force needed to bend the phone. Basically, the right half is offering 45 pounds of resistance, the left half 45 pounds of resistance, and together they add up to 90 pounds of resistance.

If you place the phone in a cantilever configuration (e.g. one half held firmly in place by your butt, the other half free-floating and pressed upon by the back of a seat), by CR's test only 45 or 35 pounds of force against the seat is needed to bend the phone. Based on those forces, I'd say the problem is not at all overblown.

I'm a structural engineer. Consumer Reports tested the phones in a simply supported beam configuration - supports at the two ends, pushing down in the middle. The 90 pounds they measured to bend the iPhone 6 (70 for the 6+) is thus actually double the force needed to bend the phone. Basically, the right half is offering 45 pounds of resistance, the left half 45 pounds of resistance, and together they add up to 90 pounds of resistance.

If you place the phone in a cantilever configuration (e.g. one half held firmly in place by your butt, the other half free-floating and pressed upon by the back of a seat), by CR's test only 45 or 35 pounds of force against the seat is needed to bend the phone. Based on those forces, I'd say the problem is not at all overblown.
CR missed another point: the bend occurs at the weak button level, not in the center of the frame. Unfortunately for Apple's customers that have noticed the bend already, the phone does not choose to place itself in the pocket specifically with the center in the pressure point; it will arrange itself haphazardly, and if you're unlucky enough to put pressure on the weakest part of the frame, you're toast (well, the phone is).
There are reviewers online that have noticed the bend appearing after only a few days of light, pocket use of the phone. Bent enough as to wobble when placed on a flat surface. I am willing to bet anything that a lot more customers have experienced this than what Apple is trying to say they have, and most of them just considered it negligible (or maybe, a new feature) and not worth reporting. Also, quite a lot of these people probably rushed to the nearest flat surface and did the test themselves after reading these reviews.
Bottom line is, using beer-can aluminum on a phone in order to cheap out on components and make an extra buck never works out in real world, unless you have customers that are gullible enough to give you (yet) another pass. To each his/her own.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
But they put the pressure EXACTLY on the center of the phone. Numerous of these people were saying that OFF-center pressure, specifically close to the side buttons, would cause the phone to bend.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
My Dads iphone plus is already bent and was told that it was not covered by the warranty.

DAD, when i said wait for the note 4, you should have listened. Now his back to using his 5s while he pays to get the phone repaired :(

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Firstly; poor testing - they should focus on the weak spots of each phone rather than just a simple test as they did. Secondly; even if we're going with the stronger spot in the iPhone 6; that's pretty terrible!

tryingmybest

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
The iPhone "weak" spot is not in the middle , it is near the buttons , and there the phone bends.

when you place the iphone in your pocket the upper part of it bends.

you are using a false test when you are putting the force in the middle.

we are talking about WEAK SPOT here , not the middle SPOT.

try shifting the point and the iphone will fail miserably.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
So is Consumer Reports fraudulent or just incompetent? Discuss.

I am betting neither. I will go with business decision. Their testers are aware of the weak point. The editors are aware they don't want to release an article confirming a weakness in an Apple product because they may get scorned by Applites. So, they go with the middle ground - put it through a perfectly applicable test that disguises a greater weakness to an ignorant reader.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013

that's sad, because FoxConn makes stuff for pretty much everyone...and they have some cuties working the production line <3 (remember the foxconn iPhone cam test girl?)

Status
Not open for further replies.