Question Contact dermatitis from laptop, need creative solution.

FDru

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
I've always had pretty bad nickel allergies and recently I started getting those familiar rashes on the palm of my hand. Sadly I narrowed the source down to my laptop touch pad, which has a thin metal strip around the edges. This has resulted in this:

View: https://imgur.com/AvXZ3eo

It has so far caused the rash to go away and that's great, but it's not a very good solution as the bandaid adhesive tends to liquefy and smear all over the place, especially with heavy use. And the left one has to be replaced often.

So anyway, I'm looking for a more permanent and less messy solution to this issue. What else could I possibly do in this situation?

(By the way, I don't actually use the touchpad, so I could technically cover it up even more if needed)

You could use electrical tape, it typically leaves little to no residue and as long as you clean the surface with some alcohol/light degreaser it will stick quite well.

Another option would be to use masking tape to edge off the metal area casing problems and apply a coating such as clear nail polish, conformal coating (used in electronics) or some sort of polyurethane spray/liquid. Then peel away the masking tape and the bare metal causing you the problems should be coated. I suggest the masking tape just so you don't get any coating on the touch-pad which will cause it to no longer function or cause issues.

Reactions: FDru

FDru

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
I suggest the masking tape just so you don't get any coating on the touch-pad which will cause it to no longer function or cause issues.
Yeah, I definitely want to preserve it as much as possible in case I need it (like when the USB mouse battery dies or whatever).

Thanks for the suggestions.