Contact System Administrator

wcrockett

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
I'm attempting to upgrade to Windows 10, using the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant (I realize it is past July 29, but that is not the issue of this post). Everything is working with the exception of the operating system requirement. The error message reads "Contact your system administrator to upgrade Windows Server or Enterprise editions". Any idea how I can work around this? I am currently running Windows 7 Enterprise as a home computer.

Solution

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

wcrockett

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

I am logged in as the administrator.

USAFRet

Titan

There is no direct Upgrade from Win 7 Enterprise to Win 10.
"Contact your system administrator..." is exactly right.

Your only recourse is to purchase Win 10, and do a full OS install. There is no Upgrade or workaround.

wcrockett

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

Is that due to the nature of enterprise versions of windows?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes. This has to do with how Enterprise is licensed. You can only buy it with a Volume Licensing agreement (Software Assurance). And it ain't cheap.

Even when the free Upgrade to Win 10 was in play (pre July 29), Win 7 or 8.1 Enterprise was never part of that Upgrade.

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/microsoft-windows-business-enterprise-update,1-2437.html
"Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise are not included in the terms of free Windows 10 Upgrade offer we announced last week, given active Software Assurance customers will continue to have rights to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer – while also benefiting from the full flexibility to deploy Windows 10 using their existing management infrastructure,"

Solution