Contemplating buying the MSI PS63, but have some questions.

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
I have been having some overheating issues with my DELL inspiron 7567 (keeps hitting 100C under stress tests which it shouldn't) and am contemplating getting a new laptop. I was wondering how it compares to the MSI PS63 (Core i7-8565U, GTX 1650).

I don't care about the weight, screen quality or types of ports. I care about temperatures, storage and quietness (including coil whine).

One of the things I do like about my 7567 is on idle/under light load it is completely silent (even when I have about 100 tabs open). It only really switch's the fans on underload/gaming. The temps are quite good on idle as its such a thick laptop (more airflow, I guess?). The issue with the 7567 is once the fans get going they are very, very loud, with a high pitch. Even when the fans are on low the laptop is prone to making an intermittent whine (a flaw with this model). It also has good storage with both a M.2 drove and a SATA 2.5" bay.

I have been contemplating the MSI PS63 as the reviews say the fans are relatively quiet, however they also say the laptop is prone to overheating. My questions are these;

Is it silent on idel/light browsing like the 7567? I hate fan noise, so a laptop with the fans always on is out.

If it is silent on idle, as I have heard it is prone to overheating, do the fans kick in relatively easy such as on chrome? I usually have 100 tabs on chrome open, while doing other things. (also does anyone know how the fan noise compares to the 7567, or what the db are?). It should be noted I found the DELL G3 fan noise pitch completely unbearable and as they were always switching on due to high temps, I returned it.

Is the GeForce GTX 1650 more prone to coil whine then the 1050ti? (Please note, I am very sensitive to high pitch noises, so something someone else may find only mildly annoying, I may find unbearable, I live in fear of coil whine). Does it have higher temps than the 1050ti.

Are there versions with extra storage (2.5" SATA bay)?

Any advice would be helpful as there are no stores I can go in and look myself, I would have to order it online.

I was wondering how it compares to the MSI PS63 (Core i7-8565U, GTX 1650).
The MSI PS63 has better gpu+ M2 SSD, plus more RAM (?), but the dell 7567 has better cpu, for games you should get the one has better GPU. So the MSI should better than the dell.

Is it silent on idel/light browsing like the 7567?
Sorry, hope someone has the same laptop, then he/she can answer your question. Otherwise read the review, or try it in the store.

For the overheat, same read the review or try it in the store. From one review ( temperature section ), the dell 7567 will hit 100C. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-7567-Gaming-Notebook-Review.196454.0.html

Is the GeForce GTX 1650 more prone to coil whine then the 1050ti?
Sorry, I don't know. Because you are very sensitive to high pitch noises, recommend to try it in the store, before buy it.

Are there versions with extra storage (2.5" SATA bay)?
From the review, sorry the MSI ps63 does not have the sata port or bay for the SATA SSD/HDD storage, only the M2 type.

Recommend to try it in the store, before you buy it, MSI ps63.