Content.IE5

Though I have IE6, there is this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Is it a left-over from IE5? Can it be safely deleted? If yes, what
about the folder that contains it (and nothing else)?

Thanks,

Eustace

Andre

According to Microsoft, you should not

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273010

I do delete it all the time tho.. just follow the links for details.

http://www.ieinfosite.co.uk/tip_view.asp?id=82

"itaintmebabe" <itaintme_babe@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Though I have IE6, there is this folder:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>
> Is it a left-over from IE5? Can it be safely deleted? If yes, what
> about the folder that contains it (and nothing else)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eustace

Is that really the path to that folder?
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Or is it:
C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 (notice the lack of TEMP\.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"itaintmebabe" <itaintme_babe@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Though I have IE6, there is this folder:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>
> Is it a left-over from IE5? Can it be safely deleted? If yes, what about
> the folder that contains it (and nothing else)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eustace

Andre

Correction, I should say I delete the contents regularly.. follow the links
for instructions!

From: "itaintmebabe" <itaintme_babe@nospam.yahoo.com>

| Though I have IE6, there is this folder:
|
| C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
|
| Is it a left-over from IE5? Can it be safely deleted? If yes, what
| about the folder that contains it (and nothing else)?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Eustace

Yes. Just a legacy of the IE5 construct still in use in IE6.

Leave it alone !

To empty the IE cache (which that folder represents)...
Start --> settings --> control panel --> Internet options --> delete files

Cache size suggestion: Only 10MB !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Repeat:

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Gary S. Terhune wrote:

> Is that really the path to that folder?
> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>
> Or is it:
> C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 (notice the lack of TEMP\.)

The first. The second does not exist in the C:\WINDOWS\Temporary
Internet Files folder. -emf

You have the following directory?
C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

I suspect that other one you asked about, the one in the TEMP folder, is
garbage. Personally, I'd go ahead and delete it and see what happens.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

itaintmebabe wrote:

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>
>> Is that really the path to that folder?
>> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>>
>> Or is it:
>> C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 (notice the lack of
>> TEMP\.)
>>
> The first. The second does not exist in the C:\WINDOWS\Temporary
> Internet Files folder. -emf

Correction: In the Windows Explorer I see that there is also the second
file; starting from My Computer > C:\ etc. you cannot see it; this one
contains only 2 files. In that case, are *both* Content.IE5 necessary?
The referenced documents seem to refer to the second, though the 4
files with the peculiar names are in the first... -emf

Go to Internet Options and click on "Settings" button at mid-right. What
does it say "Current Location" is? Any folders named "Temporary Internet
Files" that isn't that "Current Location" folder should be deleted.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> itaintmebabe wrote:
>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>
>>> Is that really the path to that folder?
>>> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>>>
>>> Or is it:
>>> C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 (notice the lack of
>>> TEMP\.)
>>>
>> The first. The second does not exist in the C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet
>> Files folder. -emf
>
> Correction: In the Windows Explorer I see that there is also the second
> file; starting from My Computer > C:\ etc. you cannot see it; this one
> contains only 2 files. In that case, are *both* Content.IE5 necessary? The
> referenced documents seem to refer to the second, though the 4 files with
> the peculiar names are in the first... -emf

Yea, as Terhune says, delete any that is not the current TIF folder. I
had THREE of them once...!...

(1) C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
(2) C:\Windows\Temp\Temporary Internet Files
(3) C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

Could be, when you upgraded IE, you chose to be able to revert back. I
guess, if you do, you get ancient TIFs along with your previous IE.
Well, here is what I did...

(a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button"
Where does it say Temporary Internet Files are located?
That is the REAL & current one.
(b) "START, Find, F/F".
(c) Enter "Tempor~1" (no quotes) in "Named".
(d) Click the "Advanced" button, & use the dropdown to select
"Folder".
(e) Then click the "Find Now" button.
If you have more than one "Temporary Internet Files" folder, you
may delete the one's that are not current.

Then, if TIFs are not where you want them, here's how to move it to
"C:\Windows\"...

1. Close all open windows, except Internet Properties if still open.
2. "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button"
3. Click "Move Folder"
4. In "Browse for Folder" requestor:
a. Click plus to left of C:
b. Highlight "Windows"
c. Click OK
5. It will ask; give it permission to re-boot

After this, if you already had a set in the destination folder, it may
not have been wiped completely. Therefore...

"Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, check 'Delete all
offline content', OK, Apply, OK". May as well click to clear "History"
while there.

Now, TIFs are where you want them, and all is well with the world.
Better check on it now/then, though, as mine have snuck back to
"C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings" twice-- probably after taking an IE
Cumulative at Windows Update,-- although the later ones haven't done
that.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"itaintmebabe" <itaintme_babe@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
| itaintmebabe wrote:
|
| > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
| >
| >> Is that really the path to that folder?
| >> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
| >>
| >> Or is it:
| >> C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 (notice the lack of
| >> TEMP\.)
| >>
| > The first. The second does not exist in the C:\WINDOWS\Temporary
| > Internet Files folder. -emf
|
| Correction: In the Windows Explorer I see that there is also the
second
| file; starting from My Computer > C:\ etc. you cannot see it; this one
| contains only 2 files. In that case, are *both* Content.IE5 necessary?
| The referenced documents seem to refer to the second, though the 4
| files with the peculiar names are in the first... -emf

Note that when you change the Temporary Internet Files location, you want to
select the *parent* folder where you want "Temporary Internet Files" to be
created. Example:

Point to C:\Windows and the following will be created upon restarting IE:
C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files.

Point to C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files and the following will be
created:
C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Yea, as Terhune says, delete any that is not the current TIF folder. I
> had THREE of them once...!...
>
> (1) C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
> (2) C:\Windows\Temp\Temporary Internet Files
> (3) C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
>
> Could be, when you upgraded IE, you chose to be able to revert back. I
> guess, if you do, you get ancient TIFs along with your previous IE.
> Well, here is what I did...
>
> (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button"
> Where does it say Temporary Internet Files are located?
> That is the REAL & current one.
> (b) "START, Find, F/F".
> (c) Enter "Tempor~1" (no quotes) in "Named".
> (d) Click the "Advanced" button, & use the dropdown to select
> "Folder".
> (e) Then click the "Find Now" button.
> If you have more than one "Temporary Internet Files" folder, you
> may delete the one's that are not current.
>
> Then, if TIFs are not where you want them, here's how to move it to
> "C:\Windows\"...
>
> 1. Close all open windows, except Internet Properties if still open.
> 2. "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button"
> 3. Click "Move Folder"
> 4. In "Browse for Folder" requestor:
> a. Click plus to left of C:
> b. Highlight "Windows"
> c. Click OK
> 5. It will ask; give it permission to re-boot
>
> After this, if you already had a set in the destination folder, it may
> not have been wiped completely. Therefore...
>
> "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, check 'Delete all
> offline content', OK, Apply, OK". May as well click to clear "History"
> while there.
>
> Now, TIFs are where you want them, and all is well with the world.
> Better check on it now/then, though, as mine have snuck back to
> "C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings" twice-- probably after taking an IE
> Cumulative at Windows Update,-- although the later ones haven't done
> that.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "itaintmebabe" <itaintme_babe@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | itaintmebabe wrote:

> | > The first. The second does not exist in the C:\WINDOWS\Temporary
> | > Internet Files folder. -emf
> |
> | Correction: In the Windows Explorer I see that there is also the
> second
> | file; starting from My Computer > C:\ etc. you cannot see it; this one
> | contains only 2 files. In that case, are *both* Content.IE5 necessary?
> | The referenced documents seem to refer to the second, though the 4
> | files with the peculiar names are in the first... -emf

Absolutely, as I found out the hard way at least one of the times I did
it! Although I think I had it covered,...

4. In "Browse for Folder" requestor:
a. Click plus to left of C:
b. Highlight "Windows"
c. Click OK

....it doesn't hurt to stress it. It was really an ugly sight to see
TIF's inside TIF's!

--
> [...]
| > 4. In "Browse for Folder" requestor:
| > a. Click plus to left of C:
| > b. Highlight "Windows"
| > c. Click OK
| > 5. It will ask; give it permission to re-boot
| >
| > After this, if you already had a set in the destination folder, it
may
| > not have been wiped completely. Therefore...
| >
| > "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, check 'Delete
all
| > offline content', OK, Apply, OK". May as well click to clear
"History"
| > while there.
| >
| > Now, TIFs are where you want them, and all is well with the world.
| > Better check on it now/then, though, as mine have snuck back to
| > "C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings" twice-- probably after taking an IE
| > Cumulative at Windows Update,-- although the later ones haven't done

| > |
> [...]
| > |