Continuous black screens and crashes on windows 10

Angus970

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Long time reader, first time poster. Apologies if this thread is in the wrong forum section.

So about 6 weeks ago I started experiencing some "HDMI NO SIGNAL" events whilst gaming, I wasn't sure what the problem was, but after refreshing the computer, it didn't happen for a bit. Then, after a week, the problem came back. I had the BIOS flashed at my local PC repair shop, which fixed the issue for about another week.
My computer continued to periodically crash, without warning, or lose display, or lose display then crash. Initially, booting off the motherboard seemed to work fine, but recently that has failed to prevent the crashing. Today, I lost signal, then had a crash in safe mode.

I have tried wiping my computer and re-installing the OS multiple times. I've tried resetting CMOS, taken my computer apart and checked all the connections, changed the RAM slot, DDU'd the drivers and reinstalled only the basics. Due to all the wipes, my computer was almost completely clean (skype, microsoft office and steam, that's about it) of software.

My build is about 4 years old, apart from an SSD and gtx 970 which I bought at the end of last year, at the same time I upgraded from windows 7 to 10. I had no problems for about 6 months with win10, until the above mentioned.

Current hardware:
Gigabyte "Windforce" Gtx 970
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo
intel-i5 cpu (unsure of exact model, 3rd gen I think?)
8gb Kingston RAM
128gb SSD (OS)
1 TB seagate HDD
1.5 TB seagate HDD -> this one is empty
Coolermaster Xtreme 725 watt psu
Windows 10

Today, I downloaded an ISO of windows 7 to attempt to boot off that, mounted the iso using my laptop, that all went fine, but when I tried to boot off the usb in my desktop I lost display before I was able to get very far.

This problem has been killing me a little, all help is very appreciated. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the computer occasionally boots for a time, say, anywhere from 10 seconds, to a few hours, but this uncertainty makes it unusable.

Solution

A bad/faulty power supply might cause the computer to behave strangely/crash at no specific time, no matter if it's idle or under heavy load, besides exposing a big risk as it might even explode depending on the problem it presents.

I'd recommend you to choose a unit with great build quality and that...

notlim981

Distinguished
If I had to guess I'd say the problem is your Power Supply. If possible, test your system with another PSU to make sure, and I strongly recommend you change it for a better quality one, preferably 80+ certified.

Angus970

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

I'm no expert on this, but wouldn't a power supply likely crash when under load, not when idling or after having run fine for some number of hours?
Also, any recommendations for a PSU based on my power requirements?

notlim981

Distinguished

A bad/faulty power supply might cause the computer to behave strangely/crash at no specific time, no matter if it's idle or under heavy load, besides exposing a big risk as it might even explode depending on the problem it presents.

I'd recommend you to choose a unit with great build quality and that presents the "80+" certification, like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

Solution