Question Continuous crashing due to dump file creation failure volmgr event id 161

RileyJW

Reputable
Dec 16, 2016
I'm experiencing several crashes per gaming session right now. The crash has (so far) only happened while gaming. So far, that's only been Monster Hunter World and Apex Legends. When I boot back up, I've checked event viewer and see just one error before the critical crash. It's volmgr with event ID 161 and always gives the same message, "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.". Please help lol. Here's my system info:

• CPU: Ryzen 3600x
  • MOBO: Asus Rog Strix b450
  • BIOS VER: v3003
  • MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000Mhz
  • GPU: EVGA 1080
  • PSU: EVGA 850GQ 80+ gold
  • PRIMARY DRIVE: Toshiba m.2 256gb
  • SECONDARY DRIVE: Seagate 2TB SSHD Firecuda
  • CURRENT OS VER: Win10 1909 v18363.815
Things I've tried in no particular order:

• Changing up my boot drive (the error I find in event viewer that causes the crash reports it from my boot drive)
  • Updating my BIOS
  • Windows repair
  • Clean Win10 installation
  • Updated all drivers and OS
  • Clean installation of apps that were running at the time of the crash
  • Rolled back drivers and OS to previously stable versions
  • Some other minor app properties settings and priority changes in task manager that I don't think affected much of anything
I'm out of ideas. I don't have a lot of means of testing different hardware. So maybe some ways to figure out what it might be if it is a hardware issue would be awesome! Thanks in advance

This is becoming a very aggravating problem, if someone could just point me in the right direction, that would be great!

ASK THE COMMUNITY