Question Continuous Cycle - boot-shutdown-boot-shutdown ?

GorfTheFrog

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hi -
I have a machine I built back in 2015 that has been completely stable and reliable.... up until now.

When I turned it on it powered, then shutdown, then re-started, then shutdown, then re-started, and I think it would have continued this cycle had I not turned off the PSU at the switch.

Before I go getting my hands dirty and spend a weekend - any quick thoughts on the problem?

At this point I'm probably just going to re-use the case, fans, disk, dvd, but rebuild with a new Mobo, CPU, PSU, RAM, Graphics Card, boot SSD etc. But if there's an easy fix, I'd probably put the build off a little while longer.

Any thoughts? Y'all are great!

Thanks.

Pretty doubtful there's an "easy" fix if this started out of the blue, but, before going any further I might try replacing the CMOS battery first. At 7 years old it is a prime candidate for the CMOS battery to have become weak or dead and that can certainly cause some boards to repeatedly cycle through the POST process since it can't retain it's settings. For a couple of bucks, it's always worth a try, and you'll need a CR2032 coin style battery which you can find at most anyplace that carries a fairly decent selection of batteries like Walmart or Batteries Plus.

But, while there's a chance that could be it, at 7 years old it could very much be motherboard, power supply, drive or graphics card. What are the full hardware specs of your current system including exact model numbers where possible?

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy
Pretty doubtful there's an "easy" fix if this started out of the blue, but, before going any further I might try replacing the CMOS battery first. At 7 years old it is a prime candidate for the CMOS battery to have become weak or dead and that can certainly cause some boards to repeatedly cycle through the POST process since it can't retain it's settings. For a couple of bucks, it's always worth a try, and you'll need a CR2032 coin style battery which you can find at most anyplace that carries a fairly decent selection of batteries like Walmart or Batteries Plus.

But, while there's a chance that could be it, at 7 years old it could very much be motherboard, power supply, drive or graphics card. What are the full hardware specs of your current system including exact model numbers where possible?
I came across this thread because I had the exact same problem today out of the blue. Swapped out the CMOS battery, and it is now working just fine. *My motherboard is just under 5 years old.

Reactions: Darkbreeze