Continuous hard drive problems even after replacing twice?!

Nov 26, 2018
Continuous hard drive problems even after replacing hard drive twice!? A while ago my hard drive broke so i got a new one. That new drive was met with many problems (disk write errors, disappearing randomly from my PC, files disappearing). I thought I'd just gotten unlucky but upon installing another new HDD, the same problems are happening!

RealBeast

Titan
I assume that you ran disk diagnostics and actually determined that your disk is bad.

System memory problems can manifest as disk errors, so you might want to run Memtest86.

If you got two bad new drives in a row, it may not just be bad luck -- often poor handling during shipment damages drives that has issues right away as opposed to a long time in use.

What model drives are you having a problem with?

Nov 26, 2018

I don't think it's to do with poor handling- I got my most recent one shipped from Seagate under warranty and it was boxed well too - I'm using a BarraCuda 1tb btw. I was thinking maybe it was the motherboard or memory. I did have to actually run a memory diagnostic in order for Windows to detect my hard drives both times so maybe it is a memory problem. Thing is though, in said memory diagnostic, there were no errors that got back to me or that I was notified of

Nov 26, 2018

Heh not trying to be difficult here but been there, done that. Tried 3 different cables I'm afraid

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Fair enough.

And you're using the original power cables for these drives? Not using cables from another psu? Usually it's an up in smoke situation that can happen if mix power cables from other psus being they're not unified and pin outs can differ from brand to brand and models. Just ruling out the obvious.

Nov 26, 2018

I'm not actually sure, I've been using the same power cable for all my hard drives I wasn't aware that I could purchase different ones

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Purchasing different cables is a nono, thats not what i meant.

What people have done is use modular cables from other PSUs/parts from over the years and this includes cpu, atx and pcie cables. The end result is a high risk of damaging components.

It's probably not your current issue but making sure you're on the same page. And might have saved you from other potential issues in future if you weren't aware of this.

Search mixing modular psu cables, you'll soon see why it's highly recommended to only use original cables the psu is packaged with.

Nov 26, 2018

Ah then no I've been using the proper cable

Nov 26, 2018

It came back all good. I'll be honest, I don't think it's the drive that's at fault seeing as it's brand new, maybe my sata ports are busted

The test confirmed it. At least you ruled out the HDD as a cause.