Continuous overclocking will kill my processor?

Jun 26, 2018
Hello,

I'm well aware of the fact that overclocking will speed up the wearing out of my processor. My processor is Ryzen 3 1200 overclocked at 3.8GHz @ 1.35V. Under load, it's 70°C. It's pretty stable and I would like to keep it that way.

However, I'm not using those processor intensive works all the time. Yet, I'm keeping my processor overclocked at that state. Is it healthy? If I leave the processor at the state for the upcoming 4-5 years or even 10 years, will it cause stability issue over time?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have a Pentium II 350MHz that's OC to 400MHz and has been for the last 20 years. Still purrs like a kitten.

Cpu lifetimes, even when OC are not measured in physical years. Cpu lifetimes are measured according to their ability to run software at desired results. That PII is far obsolete, it simply will not run windows 10, or even windows XP and with just 512k of ram, won't run any OS newer than win98se or any app or program associated with them.

Oc doesn't kill cpus, voltages do. As long as the voltages stay well within tolerances, there's not an issue. Cpu temps being one of several by-products of cpu voltages and also apply.

1.35V is pretty mild voltage as far as overclocking goes. On thing to keep in mind is under load the processor never actually sees 1.35 volts: it's probably something much closer to 1.3, even as low as 1.25, because of droop. Finally, AMD has stated that 1.45 is the limit before it could impact longevity. So I think voltage-wise it should have a life well beyond your desire to keep it.

That said, 70C, while not extreme, seems pretty warm for a 4 core at 3.8G/1.35V. Even when voltage is low, heat is a killer of electronics: are you running the stock cooler?

Jun 26, 2018

No, I'm using Thermaltake Riing Silent 12 cooler.