[SOLVED] Continuous power-cycling after cleaning

psuedo

Reputable
Apr 13, 2018
Good day all, one of friends has a problem with his PC, he'll be coming here tomorrow and I would like some opinions on what to try.

A couple weeks ago he had a moment, and kicked his table which caused his PC to reboot (not sure if this has any relation). After that he didn't encounter any problems till a few days ago.
After cleaning his rig he tried starting it up and his PC would power up for a couple of seconds and immediately power down, this happens repeatedly until he switches off the PSU.
When powering on, nothing shows on his display, all the fans including the PSU fan will spin and then stop as the PC power-cycles again. He told me he couldn't hear any beeps or click when this happens.

He tried troubleshooting by seating his RAM stick in the other DIMM slot (he only has 2 DDR3 DIMM slots), which caused his PC to stay on for about 3 minutes before rebooting once again but still no display.
He then tried putting in 2 RAM sticks (from another friend of his) which caused his PC to stay on indefinitely, yet still not posting.

I should add that all his components (except for his GPU and PSU) are fairly old, some go back 4-6 years.

He can't really afford anything new at the moment but I fear that getting a new motherboard may be his only option.

Solution
Good day all, one of friends has a problem with his PC, he'll be coming here tomorrow and I would like some opinions on what to try.

A couple weeks ago he had a moment, and kicked his table which caused his PC to reboot (not sure if this has any relation). After that he didn't encounter any problems till a few days ago.
After cleaning his rig he tried starting it up and his PC would power up for a couple of seconds and immediately power down, this happens repeatedly until he switches off the PSU.
When powering on, nothing shows on his display, all the fans including the PSU fan will spin and then stop as the PC power-cycles again. He told me he couldn't hear any beeps or click when this happens.

He tried troubleshooting by seating...

He tried troubleshooting by seating his RAM stick in the other DIMM slot (he only has 2 DDR3 DIMM slots), which caused his PC to stay on for about 3 minutes before rebooting once again but still no display.
He then tried putting in 2 RAM sticks (from another friend of his) which caused his PC to stay on indefinitely, yet still not posting.

I should add that all his components (except for his GPU and PSU) are fairly old, some go back 4-6 years.

He can't really afford anything new at the moment but I fear that getting a new motherboard may be his only option.
Will just have to open it up and see if anything is disconnected or damaged during his "cleaning", just because it's clean, it is not going to be faulty.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS