Question Continuous Power Cycling - Only when 3070 plugged in

Feb 19, 2021
Hi Peoples - I am turning over to you for some guidance. The rig boots normally without the GPU plugged into the PSU, either through the PCI slot or through the riser.

However, when I plug the GPU into the PSU, the rig starts up briefly, everything lights up accordingly and seems to be trying to boot, but then about 3 seconds in the rig resets. I hear a little blip and it continuously tries to boot up with no avail. While I intend to hook up 6 gpus (between two psus due to availability on 1000 w plus), I am only trying to connect 1 first. I would think that a 750w psu would be capable without tripping power for 1 gpu?

I've gone through and removed everything and it comes down to each gpu tripping something. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Rig has the following specs:
-msi z390 pro MOBO
-i5 9700
-16gb ram - corsair
  • samsung 250 ssd
  • 4 120 mm fans
  • 2X evga 750 g5 gold+ psu
  • Asus Geforce rtx 3070 (will eventually connect 6 total)

Hi Peoples - I am turning over to you for some guidance. The rig boots normally without the GPU plugged into the PSU, either through the PCI slot or through the riser.

However, when I plug the GPU into the PSU, the rig starts up briefly, everything lights up accordingly and seems to be trying to boot, but then about 3 seconds in the rig resets. I hear a little blip and it continuously tries to boot up with no avail. While I intend to hook up 6 gpus (between two psus due to availability on 1000 w plus), I am only trying to connect 1 first. I would think that a 750w psu would be capable without tripping power for 1 gpu?

I've gone through and removed everything and it comes down to each gpu tripping something. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Rig has the following specs:
-msi z390 pro MOBO
-i5 9700
-16gb ram - corsair
  • samsung 250 ssd
  • 4 120 mm fans
  • 2X evga 750 g5 gold+ psu
  • Asus Geforce rtx 3070 (will eventually connect 6 total)
Did you clear your bios and make sure it's up to date.

So when I try to power through the second psu, the gpu doesnt get power at all. :/
Okay now im a little lost... I wont lie are you bridging the two psu's together??? If so this maybe your problem. Using one psu at a time for bench build. Build up the pc like normal... Cpu, cooler, ram, gpu power "with one psu" 750w should be more then enough for that simple of a build and give it a test boot.

Feb 19, 2021
Okay now im a little lost... I wont lie are you bridging the two psu's together??? If so this maybe your problem. Using one psu at a time for bench build. Build up the pc like normal... Cpu, cooler, ram, gpu power "with one psu" 750w should be more then enough for that simple of a build and give it a test boot.

My apologies; I am not bridging the two psus; I had two set up so that I could put 3 other GPUS on the "2nd" psu after I tested. Currently, I am trying to just get 1 GPU to register. Utilizing PSU #1 which has the MOBO, CPU and Single SATA I can boot. However, when I plug the VGA for the GPU into PSU # 1, I get continuous cycling.

My apologies; I am not bridging the two psus; I had two set up so that I could put 3 other GPUS on the "2nd" psu after I tested. Currently, I am trying to just get 1 GPU to register. Utilizing PSU #1 which has the MOBO, CPU and Single SATA I can boot. However, when I plug the VGA for the GPU into PSU # 1, I get continuous cycling.
The psu's you are usimg are fully modular and have multiple power ports "ON THE POWER BRICK" for vga selection please try moving the cable to different ports "ON THE POWER BRICK" It'self someone yesterday jist had this issues and is was two ports on the psu were faulty you may have the same problem

Feb 19, 2021
The psu's you are usimg are fully modular and have multiple power ports "ON THE POWER BRICK" for vga selection please try moving the cable to different ports "ON THE POWER BRICK" It'self someone yesterday jist had this issues and is was two ports on the psu were faulty you may have the same problem
No dice, might send these two psus back and just purchase a 1600w psu.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Feb 19, 2021
Im sarting to be varry cautious of the evga g5 gold+ psu im notiving a lot of people that have 30xx series are having these issues.
Yeah - I'm pretty disappointed, but I can't think of anything else that may be causing this. I do see that the EZ Debug Led stays on when the GPU is plugged into power unit prior to power cycle. This doesn't happen when GPU isn't plugged into power unit.

Feb 19, 2021
Are you using uefi boot or legacy?

I am using uefi boot. One item to note, I did note that when a GPU is plugged in the VGA EZ Debugger LED stays ON; this does not occur when it is not plugged in. Trying to confirm that MOBO can support these gpus; I read multiple sites that people use this but need to review.

Last edited:
I am using uefi boot. One item to note, I did note that when a GPU is plugged in the VGA EZ Debugger LED stays ON; this does not occur when it is not plugged in. Trying to confirm that MOBO can support these gpus; I read multiple sites that people use this but need to review.
And none of
FML - I think this is the issue...
Yeah...... Outdated.... The a series supports the card not this one. Thats where i got lost to

Feb 19, 2021
Ok so you may need to boot without the gpu and set the pcie slot to gen 4 because the card is gen 4

So - I've set these to Gen 3 which the board is the highest gen on the board; I've also confirmed that you can use gen3 for 3070 which is allowed as well. I've confirmed on multiple "pc part builders" as well that this board works, but I am running out of ideas. My only clue is the VGA light stays lit when the GPU is plugged in vs no light when not plugged in

So - I've set these to Gen 3 which the board is the highest gen on the board; I've also confirmed that you can use gen3 for 3070 which is allowed as well. I've confirmed on multiple "pc part builders" as well that this board works, but I am running out of ideas. My only clue is the VGA light stays lit when the GPU is plugged in vs no light when not plugged in
Yeah did you try the second pci slot?

TRENDING THREADS