Continuous short beeps on GA-P55M-UD2

creat0r79

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hello
just purchased a GA-P55M-UD2, a core i5 750, 4GB of ram, kingston, 1333Mhz, and a Raidmax 520W PSU.
Assambled the system, started it up and i'm getting continuous short beeps (which the manual says bad power supply). Is the PSU really bad, or did i do something wrong, thanks.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
According to the manual, the error indicates "Power error". That doesn't necessarily mean it's the PSU though that's a reasonable place to check. Make sure you have the 2x4 pin connector fully seated as T_T suggested, and also the 2x12 pin connector.

The beeping can also be caused by RAM that is not in correctly. Do you have the two sticks in the second slot from the CPU and the fourth (furthest) slot from the CPU? Make sure they are fully seated. If that doesn't work, take out one stick and try to get started with just one stick in the second physical slot.

creat0r79

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
well, that's the thing. i don't have a 2x4, only 2x2 and a 20+4 connector (the PSU was a gift actually so purchased isn't the good word for it). i thought i didn't need a 2x4 since it's not an extreme edition type cpu.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
According to the manual (p. 22) that may be okay. "Use of a power supply providing a 2x4 12V power connector is recommended by the CPU manufacturer when using an Intel Extreme Edition CPU (130W)."

Check to make sure they're in securely.

Also did you check on the RAM as mentioned previously?

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
You have to populate the WHITE memory slots first, not the blue, which is opposite from most boards.

The first time I used this board it freaked me out and thought it was a bad board lol

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
A lot of people have made that mistake. Their naming/numbering convention does not help either. If you look at them in order from CPU towards the edge of the board they are number 2 then 1 then 4 then 3, so when you hear (or read without looking at the diagram) you're supposed to put the RAM in slots 1 and 3, it's easy to get it in the wrong ones.

That's why I said check that the RAM is in the second slot from the CPU and the furthest slot from the CPU. It's easier to talk about the physical location (or color as you said) than it is to use their naming convention.

creat0r79

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I noticed their stupid naming conventions. But memory was installed just fine.

I managed to solve it. I borrowed an ATX 2.3 PSU from someone (with an 8 pin connector for the cpu), and voilla boots just fine. I put the RaidMax into another PC and it works just fine. So it seems their incompatible.
And I'll get the same PSU since i know it works now (chieftec 550W).

Now, i have another issue. Bios reports the system teperature at 50-51C but all other temperatures (CPU etc) are 25-40. Where's the diode that measures the system temperature located?

hundert

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

THANKS!!!

I tried to find out if my 20 pin PS will work with the board. I received the board today, but not the CPU.

I was reading through the Manual when I saw your post. I skipped to page 22.

Thanks for saving me time <3 :p

bilbat

Splendid
The whole 2x2 vs 2x4 thing is 'iffy' - it's not set in stone... My rule of thumb is: 90 Watt TDP - if it's above, 2x4; below, 2x2 will likely do. If you're buying new - may as well overkill - might want to swap in a 'monster' later. A CPU around ninety may work fine with a 2x2, but may get unstable in OC; a 2x2 to 2x4 adapter may work, or may not, and may depend on 'where the current is coming from' - the PSU rail; or, may depend upon the adapter's quality itself!

Points out, thought, that this may be good material for the 'sticky''... [:bilbat:5]

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
That's a good idea. This isn't information I see discussed very often. And I have definitely seen reports from folks with < 130W who didn't work with 2x2 but did work with 2x4. Of course always hard to tell if that was the only change that made it work.

TRENDING THREADS