Continuous stress test hardware failure in AIDA64. Any tips?

Mythical Malice

Commendable
May 16, 2016
I recently built my new rig and I am running some stress tests on my system to ensure stability. Everything works fine when using Asus' ROG RealBench software but when I use AIDA64 I start running into issues. The first time I ran AIDA64 I ran the stress test with stock preferences and settings for the trial version and the CPU, FPU, Cache, Memory, and GPU boxes checked. The test ran for 4 1/2 hours before a hardware failure was detected. I then tried running the test again and this time it only lasted 20 minutes. I then unchecked the 'Stress GPU' box and tried again, and it only lasted about 20 minutes again. I am now running the test without the 'Stress Memory' box checked as well now (leaving only CPU, FPU, and Cache left checked) and it's been 2 hours with no faults yet.

My guess is that it has something to do with my RAM, but I have no idea as to why or how. And if it is my RAM causing issues, is it a fatal error or will I be ok and I should just move on? Is there anything I can do to fix this? I am including some screen shots of my system specs and numbers.

On the picture with the red circle around my RAM speed, just ignore that, my memory is actually running at 3000 (I am using G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3000 RAM) as you can see in the CPU-Z pics. On the screenshot of my BIOS settings, on the line for my DRAM Frequency, that has also been changed to Auto instead of [DDR4-3000 30x10...]

Let me know if I need to provide any more info. I do not really know how to use AIDA64 so this is new to me.

UPDATE: Latest test failed after 11 1/2 hours, not really sure what I should do. Is this something I should worry about? Or can I just leave my system as is? Additional screenshots included of AIDA64 test failure output.

http://imgur.com/a/4qCpo

UxLGj6o

d5HKXOe

mef0by0

F2W1MVe

nDR3h4w

pDHHIvS

cBah2t9

UPDATE 2: I have completed running MemTest 86+ (default settings in free version). My RAM passed every test except for Test 6. Over all 4 passes I had a total of 134 errors occurring on Test 6. Here is the included snapshot of the results file. I ran the test with my system as is and did not remove any hardware. Should I see if I can get my RAM replaced by the vendor I purchased it from or is there a way to fix this?

http://imgur.com/nG1koz5

nG1koz5.png

Solution
I think your first thoughts of it being a RAM problem maybe correct. The errors shown fall in line with you running the test, even with System Memory unchecked on Aida64, as 'Test 6' uses random number sequences. I've only come across this twice in my time stress testing, once for me and once for a friend, it resulted in returning RAM for a replacement. I'd recommend you do the same, though if anyone with more experience has anything to interject with, please do so.

Fungi

mrfungi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
So many variables missing, so it's hard to give an opinion. What makes you think it's the RAM? What has given you that indication? What you said doesn't really indicate it's definitely RAM. Have you run Memtest86+ on your RAM to test if its faulty? What hardware failed and what notification? Are you overclocking? Have you increased voltages on your CPU? When it crashes, what happens? Blue screen? You need to give all this information, including changes. No one can possibly give an opinion with so little information.

Mythical Malice

Commendable
May 16, 2016

Almost everything that you asked for can be found by clicking on the link provided at the bottom of my original post. Please check there for the answer to your questions.

One question that is not answered is what happens when the test fails. When that happens, AIDA64 just stops the stress test and tells me that there was a hardware failure, nothing else. No blue screen, no pop up windows, nothing.

The last two pictures on the page that the link brings you to show the output from the AIDA64 stress test window after the hardware failure was detected.

mrfungi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Is there anything in the Event Viewer? Any logs, warnings, critical messages?

My first port of call would be running Memtest86+. That'll flare up any errors in the RAM, and if passed you can rule it out. You could try the age old process of elimination and take out your GPU, leaving you with integrated graphics, 1 stick of RAM (if it is the RAM) in the board and run the tests again, adding as you go along (if tests are ok) firstly with RAM sticks and then the GPU. Tedious, I know I've done it times before, but it's a way of helping you diagnose the problem. At least you'd strike off a few suspects.

Sorry if this is a sparse response, but my tea is cooking and my lady is impatient! Run that test, memtest86+, rule it out at least.

I'll check back here later, good luck!

Mythical Malice

Commendable
May 16, 2016

Please see update posted in my original post above. I have included a screenshot of the results. Let me know if there is anything else that I can provide. I also took some pictures with my phone of the actual test but I don't think there is anything there that isn't in the results.

mrfungi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
I think your first thoughts of it being a RAM problem maybe correct. The errors shown fall in line with you running the test, even with System Memory unchecked on Aida64, as 'Test 6' uses random number sequences. I've only come across this twice in my time stress testing, once for me and once for a friend, it resulted in returning RAM for a replacement. I'd recommend you do the same, though if anyone with more experience has anything to interject with, please do so.

Fungi

Solution

Mythical Malice

Commendable
May 16, 2016
Thank you for your help. I will contact NewEgg and see what they can do for a replacement. I will mark your comment as the answer in a few days if no one else has anything to say. I'm not sure if anyone else will even look at this but I appreciate your time.

mrfungi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
No worries! Glad to help. And I know if someone who has more experience here will come in and try and help, seems to be the nature of this place :) We know how frustrating building a new rig can be only to find something isn't right after running the appropriate tests, but its good to know that there's a website out there, like here, with people who have experience with these type of things who can help.

Let us know how you get on, good luck!

Fungi