[SOLVED] Control Corsair RGB fans with Aura?

Sep 18, 2020
Everything else in my build is controlled off Aura, except for the 3 fans I added that are Corsair.

It looks like I could control everything through Corsair iCue but it seems like it would be better to add the 3 fans to everything else.

Any ideas? I don't mind modifying the fans or the Corsair RGB controller to do it. Even better would be if I could control them off the 12v 4 pin RGB headers on my board, since I've used the two addressable 5v headers already for the case RGB and the AIO RGB. An adapter is fine as well if someone had one to recommend.

Thx.

Solution
No, there is no way to connect an ARGB lighting system to a plain RGB controller and header. The two systems are very different in voltage supplied and control methods. The other option for some systems is to connect them to a mobo ARGB header (of which you have two, both in use). But you may have no way to do that, either.

The 3-fan kit you got also contains their Lighting Node Pro controller box. It is intended for use without any mobo header, and it is its own controller. It gets power from a connection to a SATA power output from the PSU, and it communicates with the mobo via a cable that connects to a mobo USB2 header. In turn, the iCue software you download and run uses that connection to send control signals to the Node, and...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
We need more details to help. Which mobo do you have - maker and exact model number? Which Corsair fans do you have? And do you have any other Corsair accessories (like a controller box) to use with them?

There are three issues here we need to check out. One is that most Corsair RGB fans use proprietary connectors which can make it difficult to connect to the more common RGB or ARGB headers on mobos. Another is that Corsair makes both types - plain RGB and ARGB - of lighted fans, so we need to know which you have. A third is something I do not know: IF your mobo has both plain RGB and ARGB headers, can the Aura Sync software work with both header types simultaneously, or only with one type?

Sep 18, 2020
I have the Asus ROG 570e MB. I'm using the two ARGB headers already for the AIO and the case RGB. I have not other Corsair accessories other than the fans and the fans are the icue SP120 RGB Pro with the corsair RGB controller. I have found where I can modify a cable and connect the Corsair RGB controller it to the addressable headers but like I mentioned those are already in use. Is there a good adapter I could use to connect them to the plain RGB headers with the modified cable? I have two of plain RGB headers not in use.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, there is no way to connect an ARGB lighting system to a plain RGB controller and header. The two systems are very different in voltage supplied and control methods. The other option for some systems is to connect them to a mobo ARGB header (of which you have two, both in use). But you may have no way to do that, either.

The 3-fan kit you got also contains their Lighting Node Pro controller box. It is intended for use without any mobo header, and it is its own controller. It gets power from a connection to a SATA power output from the PSU, and it communicates with the mobo via a cable that connects to a mobo USB2 header. In turn, the iCue software you download and run uses that connection to send control signals to the Node, and hence to the lights in the fan frames. This all happens completely independent of whatever Aura Sync is doing via its mobo ARGB headers.

There are SOME such systems that allow a third cable connection from the proprietary light control box to a mobo ARGB header, and a way to tell the proprietary box to stop doing its own thing and do whatever the mobo header says. In that way you can get ALL of your ARGB lights to do the same thing, but you lose any special lighting patterns the proprietary box knows how to do. As far as I can tell, this option does NOT exist for the Corsair iCue Node box. The only way to control lights with it is to use the iCue software and its capabilities, and you cannot sync those light displays with others supplied from the mobo headers.

IF you really want the fan lights to do exactly what the mobo-connected lights do, the only way would be to rig a connection to those fan lights from one of your mobo headers instead of from the iCue Node box. That certainly means finding out the right connections to make and custom modifying the Corsair wiring to achieve that. Then you would need one or more ARGB Splitters to enable you to connect more than one light system to each of your two headers. BUT it also means you MUST consider the limits of the mobo headers. They are spec'd to supply up to 3.0 A max current to the load (from each of your two ARGB headers). The problem here is that means you need the specs for the LIGHTS of each fan, plus for the lights you already have connected to those two headers. The Corsair website for those fans specifies the FAN MOTOR max load, but does not tell you the LIGHTING unit loads for each fan. I don't know if you have the current data for the light strips you already have. Unless you can get those data and ensure you do not overload the mobo headers, do not so this.

Solution