Control Fan Speeds on SuperMicro X8DTN running Windows 2K8R2?

Destroh

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Just bought a SuperMicro X8DTN box, love it, does what I need. However, the fans are so loud, it makes it hard to think.

I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 on a SuperMicro X8DTN and cannot seem to find any fan speed controls past the lousy BIOS options.

I have tried SpeedController and have been all over Google today. Only solutions I can seem to find are for Linux based OS.

Summary, I need some way to lower the fan speeds.

Link to full specs if needed!: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0o4Us4vjxJ1ttk2KbO7rb4Z

Solution
The OS has no bearing on this. The mobo does its own fan speed control. According to its manual, you have a choice (4 options) of which strategy it applies, and the Balanced Choice wold be a good starting point. There is little else you can configure for this.

You should be aware of an important limit. This mobo uses ONLY PWM Mode to control fans on all its ports. That means you MUST use 4-pin fans. Any 3-pin fan plugged into a fan header using PWM Mode can only run at full speed all the time.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The OS has no bearing on this. The mobo does its own fan speed control. According to its manual, you have a choice (4 options) of which strategy it applies, and the Balanced Choice wold be a good starting point. There is little else you can configure for this.

You should be aware of an important limit. This mobo uses ONLY PWM Mode to control fans on all its ports. That means you MUST use 4-pin fans. Any 3-pin fan plugged into a fan header using PWM Mode can only run at full speed all the time.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS