Control: How it Plays on Different GPUs

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Man, it's like Mirror's Edge : Catalyst all over again for me, a newly-released game with impressive graphics that put my setup to shame..

And makes me want to upgrade even though I don't need to

Geeez even a GTX 1080 can barely hold it's own at 1080P? That's one seriously demanding title. It's crysis all over again LOL.

That's gameworks and RTX implementation destroying performances across the board. It always happened on sponsored Nvidia titles.

Final Fantasy XV, The Witcher 3 (at launch), Batman, Destiny 2, Tomb Raider...

Crippling the performances by introducing proprietary tools. We, gamers, are losing because our hardware got cripple like this, however, during that time, the console versions are running properly on inferior hardware at 1080p.

AlphaCompton

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
Wheres the rest of the article where they benchmark RTX GPUs with Ray tracing on?
Also yea it seems pretty demanding but on DX 11 without all the fancy ray tracing my GTX 1080 has no trouble at 1080p medium smooth as butter 60fps, even on high settings I get 'mostly' 60fps and sometimes I get weird stutter, my RTX 2070 in my laptop doesn't have that stutter. My RTX 2070 actually plays it pretty ok with high ray tracing and medium graphics, I get between 40-50. My hardest dip is probably 30fps. That's with a ton of eye candy enabled. Using DLSS will get me more 50s rendering at 720p. Still looks pretty good. Reflections are beautiful. Geforce experience gives me a pretty good mix of medium graphics and medium ray trace, game looks good, still has beautiful reflections and gives me close to 60fps lock.

AlphaCompton

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
That's gameworks and RTX implementation destroying performances across the board. It always happened on sponsored Nvidia titles.

Crippling the performances by introducing proprietary tools. We, gamers, are losing because our hardware got cripple like this, however, during that time, the console versions are running properly on inferior hardware at 1080p.

I'd say Batman Arkham Knight was the only one that really suffered on the PC port, it took them a bit to fix it too, but I bought a new GPU to play Arkham Knight (GTX 980 at the time) I don't regret it because I really enjoyed that game but I felt the others you mentioned didn't have that much issues , you could turn off the really cool Nvidia stuff and play it smoother(like the console versions you mentioned) but I love the tech. Arkham Knight was the only one that had that crazy 30fps lock and people were using external programs to get it run good.

Geeez even a GTX 1080 can barely hold it's own at 1080P? That's one seriously demanding title. It's crysis all over again LOL.
Except Crysis actually looked far better than any other games on the market at the time it was released, and remained one of the best looking games for years afterwards, whereas Control looks just about par for the course among current AAA games. It's a reasonably good looking game, but I don't think it does all that much beyond what other good looking games of 2019 are doing in the graphics department, and is in some ways less impressive considering its relatively simple, indoor corridor environments.

Seeing as it's an Nvidia-sponsored title, I wouldn't be surprised if they "assisted" the developer in ways that ensured performance would be crippled on their previous-generation hardware to help encourage their existing install-base to upgrade. Just look at these benchmarks of the game on TechPoweredUp...

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/control-benchmark-test-performance-nvidia-rtx/5.html

The GTX 1070 only performs on par with a 1660 (Non-Ti), the 1080 only slightly better than a 1660 Ti, and the 1080 Ti below the performance of a 2060 SUPER. Interestingly, AMD's previous-gen cards actually hold up pretty well though. An RX 570 4GB outperforms a 1060 6GB, the RX 590 is nearly on par with a 1070, and Vega 56 is roughly on par with a 1080, with Vega 64 further ahead. The current-generation Navi cards also perform reasonably well for their price points, with the RX 5700 performing slightly better than a 2060, and the RX 5700 XT slightly better than a 2060 SUPER, and in turn above a 1080 Ti.

This is probably down to the strong compute performance of these cards relative to Pascal. Still, it seems a bit hard to justify a GTX 1080 needing to run at medium settings just to push 1080p60, as in most other games that card should be able to push 1440p on highest (Non-RT) settings. Try that with this game and you'll be struggling just to maintain 30fps. And again, it's not like that poor performance equates to substantially better visuals.

Turn on all the RTX effects and even a 2080 SUPER can't maintain 60fps at 1080p. You'll need an $1100+ 2080 Ti for that. And even that card can only push frame rates in the 40s at 1440p. All for some moderately better lighting and reflections that you will likely struggle to notice while actually playing the game. Raytraced lighting effects look nice, but arguably not enough so to justify nearly halving performance on the 20-series cards, and such effects likely won't be truly viable until at least the next generation of graphics cards, that I suspect should offer much better RT performance.

I played through this game on a RTX 2060 at "1920x1200" with everything maxed (incl. raytacing) and it ran just fine and looked good using the highest resolution DLSS option (which is obviously lower than 1920x1200). I wasn't monitoring FPS, but it didn't feel like it ever dropped below 60 fps (could be wrong though).

Also this game really reminded me of the excellent 2006 mini-series "The Lost Room", which is well worth checking out if you like the idea of random "objects of power".

Last edited:

Disable those features or get yourself a console. Problem solved.

hannibal

Distinguished
It is good to have games that pushed boundaries!
”But can it run Controll?”

The point is that you can fake most of the effects that Controll uses. But in this game you can test if your gpu can run those non fake versions of those effects, so it gives some picture what other games will demand in few years.

And by redusing those settings gives you playable speed even in not so strong hardware. I Also Expect some optisimations. The Remedy has sayd that there will be some optisimations before They will release the first dls to this game.