[SOLVED] Control key stuck but not physically

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFS2705

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I have an issue on my PC where it sometimes acts like i'm holding down control even when i'm not. It usually starts when i'm playing games and i must press a combination of keys by accident and it causes the control key to act like it is being pressed. I have tried different keyboards and this issue still takes place so I am unsure what to do. If anyone was able to help me figure out what is causing the issue and how to disable/fix it I would be extremely grateful.

Solution
This:

" I have an issue on my PC where it sometimes acts like i'm holding down control even when i'm not. It usually starts when i'm playing games and i must press a combination of keys by accident and it causes the control key to act like it is being pressed. "

Not at all uncommon, for me anyway, to accidently hit some keys and initiate some shortcut setting that is not intended much less wanted.

First thought would be Sticky Keys.

("WIN" + "I" > Ease of Access > Keyboard)

You may find something in Game bar - not quite as likely.

Go to the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

Read through the various shortcuts and pay close attention to any that use the Ctrl key...

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to share the make and model of the keyboard you're using and the other keyboard's you've used to rule out that the OS is causing an issue. Speaking of issue, mind sharing your specs with us? List them like so:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

JFS2705

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Might want to share the make and model of the keyboard you're using and the other keyboard's you've used to rule out that the OS is causing an issue. Speaking of issue, mind sharing your specs with us? List them like so:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus
Ram: 16GB HyperX 2666 Mhz
SSD/HDD: Samsung 960 Evo m.2 Nvme SSD 256 GB and WD Blue 2TB HDD
GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: EVGA 600W 80 plus PSU
Chassis: Corsiar 100R
Keyboard: ADX MK0217 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard. I have also tried a Logitech wireless keyboard with the same issue.
Many thanks in advance

Ralston18

Titan
This:

" I have an issue on my PC where it sometimes acts like i'm holding down control even when i'm not. It usually starts when i'm playing games and i must press a combination of keys by accident and it causes the control key to act like it is being pressed. "

Not at all uncommon, for me anyway, to accidently hit some keys and initiate some shortcut setting that is not intended much less wanted.

Read through the various shortcuts and pay close attention to any that use the Ctrl key.

Determine any of those key combinations correspond with/to what your system is doing when you play games.

And look at the games you play - one of them may have some configured "shortcut" that remains in effect after the game is ended and closed.

Solution
Nov 10, 2021
This:

Read through the various shortcuts and pay close attention to any that use the Ctrl key.

Determine any of those key combinations correspond with/to what your system is doing when you play games.

And look at the games you play - one of them may have some configured "shortcut" that remains in effect after the game is ended and closed.

I'll just offer my solution here because I finally tracked down the problem after it drove me crazy for months. I believe it was only happening in Microsoft Excel after I used the CTRL key, but I don't think it was happening anywhere else. I uninstalled and unplugged my 3Dconnexion Spacemouse Pro (used for 3D modelling work). That was all. Their software and drivers have always been terrible. TLDR: be suspicious of your peripherals and their drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.