Control Panel freezes/locks up

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I've only been using 8.1 for a few weeks. When I right click where start button on XP was (not sure what it's called on 8.1), and select control panel, it freezes. I see the borders of the control panel, but a white screen where all control panel stuff should be. I can't close the window, because it's locked up. I can still do everything else (use IE, chrome, File Explorer, Computer Management, etc.). I have to restart my computer to get rid of locked control panel screen. The computer restarts real slow after this happens.

Any suggestions?

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
In case someone else has the same issue. My problem was caused by AVG. After my internet modem was acting up, I received a popup from AVG claiming a 'general behavior detection error'. I clicked the option 'Let AVG fix it'. As it turns out, it messed something up. I can verify this because I've been creating a lot of system restore points on my new build. Mainly because I'm unfamiliar with 8.1, plus I've been installing a lot of drivers/programs on new build (Creating system restore points along the way).

The system restore point prior to the AVG incident fixed the problem.