Control panel says I should be getting 866.7 Mbps, Speedtest says 180Mbps

Mar 20, 2018
Alright, this is probably me confusing myself, but I'm running on a wireless connection with my router just about 10 feet below me (between a floor of course). As the title states, when I open up control panel and go to my network details, it gives me this: https://imgur.com/n1fBQr0

When I run a speedtest it gives me this: https://imgur.com/sURt8Ru

Hopefully it's not just me confusing megabits vs bytes, but I'm pretty sure speedtest is giving bits. Also could just be that I'm on wifi instead of wired...

Side note, i'm using a USB adapter for internet rather than a card if that matters.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this was formatted incorrectly or anything, as this is my first post on TH.

Jack

Solution
The speed value in the first picture (866.7Mbps) is not real, just a theoretical number that no computer would ever get over 5GHz wireless.

With a floor in between you are getting a very reasonable speed and low latency -- you should be pretty happy with those results.

It doesn't really matter that you are using a USB adapter. Don't pay attention to the bytes sent/received, the Speedtest value of 180Mbps is what you are actually getting (at least from that nearby Internet server).

And other than the limitation due to wireless, the other question is what your ISP plan actually provides you.

RealBeast

Titan
The speed value in the first picture (866.7Mbps) is not real, just a theoretical number that no computer would ever get over 5GHz wireless.

With a floor in between you are getting a very reasonable speed and low latency -- you should be pretty happy with those results.

It doesn't really matter that you are using a USB adapter. Don't pay attention to the bytes sent/received, the Speedtest value of 180Mbps is what you are actually getting (at least from that nearby Internet server).

And other than the limitation due to wireless, the other question is what your ISP plan actually provides you.

Solution
866.7Mbps is a theoretical link speed for the Wifi, and not even the data transfer rate over your local LAN.

That speedtest is also testing the data transfer rate over the internet, which is usually the bottleneck. Are you paying your ISP for faster speeds than this? People also don't consider that despite how fast their connection is to the ISP, the limit is often the other end (before the ISP) because servers are designed to allocate bandwidth fairly so no single user can hog all of it. So usually it's the ISP's own speedtest (which is hosted on its own servers) that gives the highest numbers.