[SOLVED] Controlled Folder Access blocking Hitmanpro from making changes

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Hello, I was using Hitmanpro on 2 different laptops, both on windows 20h2, both with with the latest windows updates and both running Windows Defender with the same settings. Both laptops are within the same age give or take a 8-9 months.

On one laptop, I mainly use Hitmanpro to sometimes scan, maybe once a month. I also sometimes will do a second scan with Malwarebytes and Norton Power Eraser. Non of them have ever needed to be excluded from Controlled Folder Access and I have never gotten any popups that they are being blocked either nor does the history say they are being blocked.

On the second laptop however, I was doing a scan with Hitmanpro right as the laptop booted and it froze about 20 seconds in. My mouse cursor had the blue spinning wheel but I couldn't do anything. I brute forced it and restarted. I then thought to myself, "Windows Defender was probably updating at the same time and I wasn't thinking about it, probably annoyed each other". I checked Controlled Folder Access out of curiosity and noticed it was blocking Hitmanpro. I did another scan and Hitmanpro finished (no threats found) but it was still being blocked by Folder Access. I tried with Malwarebytes just to see if it is isolated to Hirmanpro. Sure enough, it doesn't like Malwaybytes either.

I am confused as to why both laptops have the same windows install, settings and all the like, but one is blocking Hitmanpro and Malwarebytes with Folder Access and the other laptop isn't. Almost makes me worry that the scanners aren't working properly on the other laptop but they aren't telling.

If anyone can shed some light on why this may happen. Please and Thank You.

Solution
It would be very difficult to say why one or two security apps decided they needed access to scan a particular folder in one laptop over another, assuming the assorted individual second opinion scanners have/had the same settings. Certainly, a controlled access folder's location and time of creation might have an important bearing on determining if it is scanned as well. (Are you sure both folders have received the same controlled access designation, and, application access exceptions?)

But as Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes are generally trusted applications, it would make sense to grant access to the blocked folders for the scans it intends to do, if you are able.
It would be very difficult to say why one or two security apps decided they needed access to scan a particular folder in one laptop over another, assuming the assorted individual second opinion scanners have/had the same settings. Certainly, a controlled access folder's location and time of creation might have an important bearing on determining if it is scanned as well. (Are you sure both folders have received the same controlled access designation, and, application access exceptions?)

But as Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes are generally trusted applications, it would make sense to grant access to the blocked folders for the scans it intends to do, if you are able.

Solution

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016

Both laptops have the same settings/should be giving the same access. It’s weird. I’ll have to investigate it further.

In the end the tears complete as normal (seems that way anyway for now) so I am unsure as to why one laptop is being grouchy.

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with @mdd1963 - could indeed be difficult to come up with some reason(s).

However, the "freeze" may be a clue.

I will suggest a further comparision of the laptops.

Start with Reliability History and Event Viewer. Determine if one laptop or the other is capturing some error, warning, or even an information event that is not present on the other laptop. Perhaps related to the freezes...

Look for entries that involve Hitman Pro and/or Malwarebytes.

Look in Update History; One laptop or the other may have had a failed or missing update.

Compare Task Manager > Startup. Look for some difference in the apps being launched at startup.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Agree with @mdd1963 - could indeed be difficult to come up with some reason(s).

However, the "freeze" may be a clue.

I will suggest a further comparision of the laptops.

Start with Reliability History and Event Viewer. Determine if one laptop or the other is capturing some error, warning, or even an information event that is not present on the other laptop. Perhaps related to the freezes...

Look for entries that involve Hitman Pro and/or Malwarebytes.

Look in Update History; One laptop or the other may have had a failed or missing update.

Compare Task Manager > Startup. Look for some difference in the apps being launched at startup.

I looked in the reliability and it showed nothing. Event viewer also showed nothing. Both laptops are running the same programs, they are identical as far as process explorer goes. I’m not sure why it’s happening 🤷🏻‍♂️

I will keep investigating.

Ralston18

Titan
Double check folder/ file permissions. Look at inheritances.

If you can narrow down to a specific folder then you can compare the folder access rights, permissions, and properties for that folder between the two laptops.

Depending on the details, a Powershell Get cmdlet may help with making the comparison.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Sorry for the late reply I wanted to do some testing before I replied.

So it seems that the laptops are not exactly the same as one has a few different files than the other and funny enough the laptop that was not getting upset at hitmanpro, did get upset at emsisoft emergency tool kit.

At this point I think it’s just windows defender has different reasons for not liking certain scanners, scanning certain things.

Does windows defender doing this impede the second opinion scanners from doing their job? Or will the scanners work just fine?

The second laptop is my mothers and I don’t want to give it back to her before I know hitmanpro is able to fully do it’s job without worrying defender is messing with it.