hamada.hosny93

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018
Hi guys, i have some problem with "Controlled Folder Access" in my windows 10, it mostly blocks my games from saving its data.

For example, if a have .exe file for some game, say: "GameName.exe", when i open the game, it just opens normally, but i got a message in my notification bar saying: "Controlled Access Folder blocked GameName.exe from making changes, click to see details", when i click to see details, then i found nothing, just opening the Controlled Folder Access settings in windows 10, but i always find that it's blocking game savings to documents folder or even access an already saved game, making it start from the beginning because it's just didn't load that save game.

All i know about "CFA", it should be as an anti-ransomware tool, but its just blocking my games from savings or loading saves, some people advised me to just turn it off as its useless, or at least allow the .exe file through, but i'm afraid of some kind of a ransomware attack to happen.

For my own perspective, i think CFA is really useless, changes that i want to make should be game savings, so new save file each time i make a progress in some game, i wonder if CFA considers this as some change.

So any help please?

Solution
I for one try to maintain as much protection as possible; both in scope and depth.

For the most part (full disclosure) I have not needed to make any CFA configuration changes.

You can expand protection as necessary overall - folder and apps.

You cannot remove protection from the default folders being protected.

FYI: the following Microsoft link provides a good overview and should be helpful with understanding the bigger picture and the available end-user options:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...oft-defender-atp/customize-controlled-folders

Before making CFA related changes, plan the changes and make note of any changes you make.

Just in case you need to "undo" something.

Work...

hamada.hosny93

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018
If you have full admin right to your computer you should be able to make the necessary configuration changes.

Well, i'm the full admin to my PC, its personal and me only using it.

BTW i just realized right now that CFA only protects some specific folders like videos, music, favorites, documents, pictures, to be honest, i have nothing to store there so its almost empty, just documents folder only contains my saves for games, my other personal data is on my HDDs, and its all games mostly.

So should i turn off CFA? or keep it on?? in my case it protects nothing, but i still afraid from ransomware attack to the whole PC, so again asking: does CFA protects the whole PC or just the default folders??

Ralston18

Titan
I for one try to maintain as much protection as possible; both in scope and depth.

For the most part (full disclosure) I have not needed to make any CFA configuration changes.

You can expand protection as necessary overall - folder and apps.

You cannot remove protection from the default folders being protected.

FYI: the following Microsoft link provides a good overview and should be helpful with understanding the bigger picture and the available end-user options:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...oft-defender-atp/customize-controlled-folders

Before making CFA related changes, plan the changes and make note of any changes you make.

Just in case you need to "undo" something.

Work with just one game/app to start with. Once you are sure that all is working as intended then make other changes per your requirements.

[Note: You should not attempt any changes via Powershell unless you have some knowledge and experience with Powershell. Likewise for Registry editing or third party utilities that you may come across.]

Solution