Controllers disappearing?

SyncroScales

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I spoke to someone at a computer store in my city. The customer service rep told me that gaming controllers for computers are not really being supported anymore.

Is this true? What about some of the joysticks? (like in old arcade games)

I was concidering looking at some hardware. I wasn't sure which controller or brand to go with. I was unsure which year or if I chousl choose a no-name controller or a well-known controller.

Any suggestions or advice? With PC games is the typical mouse and keyboard the only way now? I thought controllers were being developed and used.

Some games like fighting games or whatnot are better with a controller or joystick.

Also: any ideas or suggestions as to what to look for for a gaming mouse or keyboard? I see a few with lots of buttons, I take it that programming as many buttons as possible is a goot idea.

Thanks.

hairystuff

Distinguished
There are plenty of gaming controllers availiable on the market from Thrustmaster, Logitech, Microsoft and tons of other manufacturers, and to add to that alot of the console controller are compatible aswell, so as Sunius said maybe the sales rep has no ideal of what he is talking about.

SyncroScales

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I think I will take the time to read some reviews if I need to.

A techy guy who gamed a lot once told me that I only need one or two things to start gaming. "A mouse and keyboard". I had kept asking about controllers, joysticks and all this stuff I saw in flyers since I was focusing my computer time elsewhere back then.

Any suggestions are appriciated though.

The rep was a younger woman. I called back and she recommended a different guy to talk to that I havn't. Usually she knows her stuff, and she did explain some other things I needed to hear.