[SOLVED] Controlling 3-pin fan

Torquel29

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
Hey guys,i just finished a build.I have 2 case fans that are connected to my motherboard with 3-pin connection.While discovering the bios i saw that there is a section that i can control these fan's speed.It is of course not under PWN but DC.From my understanding this is a way to control 3-pin fans speed with the voltage u gave.Am i right? If so,they were getting 7.5 voltage and not 12 as far as i can see.So can i make them lets say get 10 voltage all the time so they can keep turning faster? Will making them always get 10 voltage be any harm.I have a 650w PSU for a ryzen 5 2600 and rx 580 so i think i have enough room for more voltage.

Solution
Yes, it's safe, they were designed to operate at variable speed depending on what voltage is applied. 7.5V is fine, 10V is fine, as is pretty much anything else. The only thing is that there will be some minimum voltage required for them to start spinning.

If you want them to spin faster then go for it. You should also be able to set a fan profile such that their speed will automatically vary based on what temperature your motherboard is reading.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's safe, they were designed to operate at variable speed depending on what voltage is applied. 7.5V is fine, 10V is fine, as is pretty much anything else. The only thing is that there will be some minimum voltage required for them to start spinning.

If you want them to spin faster then go for it. You should also be able to set a fan profile such that their speed will automatically vary based on what temperature your motherboard is reading.

Solution