Question controlling case fan speed

Nov 3, 2019
Hello all, I have searched through the forums for a while trying to find what I’m looking for but am still not 100% satisfied. Just completed my first build and am still slightly confused with controlling my fan speeds. I know I’m just overthinking it.
Relevant specs:
MB: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
CPU: I7 9700k
CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7
Fans: Deepcool RF 3in1 PWM case fans

Ok so in the BIOS, there’s an option for the cpu cooler fan which I just leave alone because the default settings are fine. The case fans however have two settings, the smart fan control and default, which I suppose is considered manual. It’s easy for me because all three fans run on one header so it’s just one tab. I don’t plan on OC’ing anything btw...My question is I’m unsure which of these to use and here’s why: I can turn on smart fan control and customize it as I wish, the thing is, every time I’m going through a load screen or big area in games, the fans will ramp up for a few seconds and then come back down, over and over which gets annoying and seems rather useless if it’s just a quick spike. Unless I really customize the graph and keep the first two points low, it happens. I can also use system temp but I don’t really understand how that differs much from cpu temp. If I leave it on default which I would prefer, it sets the fans at a constant 60% even at idle which with the DeepCool fans is somewhat loud. What’s also odd was it had them set to 50%, but after I went into the bios to set it to default again it went to 60% this time. I also don’t understand how this mode works in general. Does this mean even if the CPU starts heating up like crazy for some reason that the case fans will just stay at 60%? Sorry for the rather extensive post, but was just hoping someone with some experience could assist me. Furthermore the default setting has the fans listed as DC which I’ve manually changed to PWM. Should I just use smart fan control and keep the first two points a bit lower? Should I adjust the manual mode and lower the fans to a constant 50% so it’s not as loud, or would that cause the cpu to heat up a little more?
Thanks.

The cpu fan is controlled by the cpu sensor, as it warms up it speeds up the fan to cool it down. The case fans are separate from the cpu. They are there to expel the warm air from the case caused by the gpu, psu, cpu, mobo etc, and to bring in cooler air. I keep my case fans static at manual setting of high, because they are very quiet. You seem to be very sensitive to the sound of them. You need to find a balance of fan speed, and fan sound. I recommend using a constant speed that you can live with. The most important fan is the cpu as that must cool on demand to keep temps down. The case fans move warm air along, unless your pc is in a hot room without air conditioning, case fan speed is more adjustable to your liking.

Reactions: Wehrlebird
Nov 3, 2019
The cpu fan is controlled by the cpu sensor, as it warms up it speeds up the fan to cool it down. The case fans are separate from the cpu. They are there to expel the warm air from the case caused by the gpu, psu, cpu, mobo etc, and to bring in cooler air. I keep my case fans static at manual setting of high, because they are very quiet. You seem to be very sensitive to the sound of them. You need to find a balance of fan speed, and fan sound. I recommend using a constant speed that you can live with. The most important fan is the cpu as that must cool on demand to keep temps down. The case fans move warm air along, unless your pc is in a hot room without air conditioning, case fan speed is more adjustable to your liking.
Thanks man appreciate it. Gonna find a good constant percent/rpm and just leave it alone