Question Controlling fan speed on ASUS P8P67 pro

Clueless Guy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2016
I have a fairly old mobo and I recently bought a new chassis fan. I've been without it for a few years and never cared much since I don't push my hardware too much. At first the fan was running at 2500 rpm but I noticed that the original fan was plugged in the slot for the power fan, so I swapped slots and after that the motherboard gains control of the fan's speed after a couple of seconds after start up and brings the rpm down to a normal level. But it is still too loud for me.

I tried several fan control applications, but none allowed me to set a manual speed. Eventually I tried installing ASUS AI suite 2 and using the tool FanXpert that comes with it (I am using AI suite 2 instead of a newer one because on the ASUS site that's the only version of the program that I can download from the p8p67 pro page and the application is listed as win 7 compatible, not win 10). This seems to be the only way to set speed to 30% manually, which is enough to circulate air through the case while not driving me crazy with the noise. The problem is that whenever the pc is shut down, restarted or set to sleep the setting is lost and I have to open the application again, select the fan and set the manual values.

Anyone knows of a way to save the settings permanently.

Your motherboard has 4 fans. According to your mobo manual, 3 of them, CPU Fan, Chassi fan 1 and 2, can have their speed set in BIOS. PWR fan has fixed speed.

CPU fan and Chassi fan 1 are four pin, Chassi fan 2 and PWR fan are three pin.

AI-suitell seem to be the AI-suite to use with your mobo, not AI-suite II.

Clueless Guy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2016
Your motherboard has 4 fans. According to your mobo manual, 3 of them, CPU Fan, Chassi fan 1 and 2, can have their speed set in BIOS. PWR fan has fixed speed.

CPU fan and Chassi fan 1 are four pin, Chassi fan 2 and PWR fan are three pin.

AI-suitell seem to be the AI-suite to use with your mobo, not AI-suite II.

The BIOS doesn't let me configure custom rpm, only "modes" and silent mode is way too loud when the PC is at rest (reading, writing or watching videos).

If you mean AI suite 3, I just assumed it was not compatible because there is not a direct link to it from the page related to my hardware.