[SOLVED] Controlling fans Manually

Jan 14, 2021
Hey guys i was just wondering how i could control my corsair sp120s fans manually because I do not have a commander pro and I was hoping I could control the rpm some other way if you could tell me some how thank you .

Solution
Hey guys i was just wondering how i could control my corsair sp120s fans manually because I do not have a commander pro and I was hoping I could control the rpm some other way if you could tell me some how thank you .

If you want to control your corsair sp120s fans you will need a DC controller hub such as the Commander Pro.
The corsair sp120s have a 3pin connection so there is no ability in Bios to control the RPM.

DC control is done using voltage control whereas the 4th pin of a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) fan allows for the power being sent to the fan to be pulsed.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not right. MOST modern mobos allow you to choose which of two possible methods the SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers use to control the speed of the fan connected. Many are set by default to use the newer PWM Mode, and that cannot control a 3-pin fan. But if you change that to use Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode), then it CAN control the 3-pin fan. To be more sure, tell us how many SP 120's you have, and what maker and exact model number is your mobo?

Jan 14, 2021
Not right. MOST modern mobos allow you to choose which of two possible methods the SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers use to control the speed of the fan connected. Many are set by default to use the newer PWM Mode, and that cannot control a 3-pin fan. But if you change that to use Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode), then it CAN control the 3-pin fan. To be more sure, tell us how many SP 120's you have, and what maker and exact model number is your mobo?
I have 3 sp120s and i was hoping to us it with the control my corsair elite capellix and the controller it comes with.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I suspect you cannot do it that way. The problem appears (from the unit's website) that the Corsair Commander Core Hub has only PWM Mode capability. It is billed as PWM fan controller (as well as an RGB lighting controller) and does not claim to work with older 3-pin fans.

So, back to the question of exactly what mobo you have. It is VERY likely that you can control those fans that way, but we'll want to confirm details.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution
I suspect you cannot do it that way. The problem appears (from the unit's website) that the Corsair Commander Core Hub has only PWM Mode capability. It is billed as PWM fan controller (as well as an RGB lighting controller) and does not claim to work with older 3-pin fans.

So, back to the question of exactly what mobo you have. It is VERY likely that you can control those fans that way, but we'll want to confirm details.
Yes. It is likely that this is possible. Gigabyte's Smart Fan 5 allows this on my board too.

You won't be able to control it in iCUE but it is controllable provided your motherboard can do it

TRENDING THREADS