Controlling laptop fan speeds

rifty

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Dont know if there is a post about this already but, recently ive noticed that my fans are running but i feel like they arent running at their max capacity and it could be causing overheating issues.
is there a program i can download that will monitor and change my fans speeds?

(i am running my fans on active not passive but they still seem to only run when my laptop is under super heavy loads)

Laptop is a ASUS ROG GL552VW

armyzoff

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I had a fan problem with my laptop so I turned it over and saw that the air intakes were full of cat hair, vacuumed them out and then raised the laptop about 1/2" to get better airflow under it, this pretty much fixed the overheating / loud fan noise problem.

I also went into the BIOS and switched the fans to on all the time or something like that.

rifty

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

thanks for the reply, i suspected it could be overheating when my laptop suddenly turned off completely while playing during a raid in a decently graphic intensive game, after looking around in my computer i noticed my cpu was being overclocked by intel turboboost up to 3.2ghz. so i downloaded realtemp to check if that may be the cause and noticed my temps always floating around 70 ~ 87 c (with one temp reading reaching 91c today) during idling in the game's main town. during this time i noticed my fans not really start speeding up till it got to around 80 ~ 85c everytime (my cpu cuts at 100c and gpu at 98c) the laptop itself is also brand new (unboxed it and everything just a month ago)

rifty

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

thanks for the reply, i recently bought and unboxed my laptop about a month or so ago, so i dont think the intakes could be clogged, and my problem is i don't hear my fans until my laptop reaches fairly high temperatures. i think it has good airflow from where it is at and nothing is blocking the exhaust or intake vents.

armyzoff

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017

I also just bought an ASUS micro computer, one of their selling points is how quiet their computers are and yes, they are very quiet which might be the reason you are not hearing any fan noise.