Conventional Extended Memory Failure

ryemae

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Hello! Due to various reasons, I had to install a new motherboard and a new CPU. Once both were installed, I went to start up my computer. The computer itself turned on, however, the monitor wasn't getting a signal. I listened for beep code, and got one long and three short. The manual for my motherboard (ASRock 970A-G/3.1) says its a conventional/extended memory failure. I do the standard troubleshooting for that: I reseat the RAM sticks (four 4G sticks), and then all the cords, and finally the GPU (GeForce GTX 1050.) Despite this, I'm still getting the long beep and three short beeps.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Try it with one stick of memory at a time. One (hopefully that is all it is) of the 4 sticks is bad. You need to find it by trying them one at a time.

Also are these memory ECC memory? You can NOT use ECC memory on a non ECC board.

ryemae

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

Thank you for the suggestion! I just tried with placing in one stick at a time, and I still got the beep code for each one. :/

Also, no these are not ECC memory sticks. They're Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MT/s, and I had an AMD motherboard prior to this one. Would it be safe to say I'll need to replace all my RAM sticks?

ryemae

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

No, the new motherboard is good. I tested it and it works fine. The computer wouldn't boot up if the motherboard wasn't working, either.

Due to your earlier suggestion on one of the ram sticks possibly being bad, however, I now have my suspicions that the ram sticks were likely damaged the same way my previous motherboard and CPU were damaged. So I'm going to replace my ram with new ones and see if that solves things.

TRENDING THREADS