[SOLVED] "Conventional/Extended Memory Failure"

stebbinsd

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
When I turn my desktop on, I get no images on screen, but I do get a beep code. It's 1 long beep code followed by either 2 or 3 short beeps.

According to this webpage ... https://ddr4motherboard.com/beepcodes/GIGABYTE-GA-970A-UD3P-REV.-2.X ... that signifies a "Conventional/Extended Memory Failure." Ok ... only problem is ... a google search of that phrase tells me diddly squat on how to actually fix that problem!

It is also worth noting that, when I boot up the computer, I can still hear the windows start-up chime coming out of the speakers.

What even is "conventional/extended memory?" Is that the RAM, or the Graphics Card's memory? I tried reseating everything (I only have one stick of ram right now, so I don't need to worry about only doing one at a time).

Removing the ram altogether causes the mobo to give consistent, short beeps.

Meanwhile, removing the graphics card altogether gives me the same 1-long 2-3 short beeps that suggest a conventional/extended memory failure (whatever that means), and I still can hear the Windows start-up chime.

Has the graphics card failed? Has the memory failed? How do I fix this problem?

Solution
unless you have a ddr4motherboard.com motherboard, I would believe what the manufacturer website said

you said " It's 1 long beep code followed by either 2 or 3 short beeps."
If you remove the ram, of cause it going to be memory issue

seem like you already know the issue. good luck

stebbinsd

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

Yes. I provided a webpage in my OP for my specific model of motherboard: The GA-970A-UD3P.

Also, that webpage you gave me says "Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed." However, I know from experience that continuous short beeps mean that the memory is not correctly installed. As I said in my OP, "Removing the ram altogether causes the mobo to give consistent, short beeps."

rgd1101

Don't
unless you have a ddr4motherboard.com motherboard, I would believe what the manufacturer website said

you said " It's 1 long beep code followed by either 2 or 3 short beeps."
If you remove the ram, of cause it going to be memory issue

seem like you already know the issue. good luck

Solution