[SOLVED] Conversión DVI to DP in RX 480 AMD viable?

terky

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Hi there,

I have an AMD RX 480 with DP 1.4 output. I currently connect it to my monitor (V246HLBMD Acer 2013) that only has DVI output with a DVI-D to DVI-D adapter and then the entire DVI cable to the monitor.

Is it possible to buy a cable with DVI output for the monitor part and DP for the graph part?

Or better a DVI to DP adapter on the monitor side and then entire DP cable to the graphics card?

Regards

Just to clarify - connector on graphics card is output, connector on monitor is input.

There are DP-DVI cables (with adapter built in).
There's no difference, if you use -
DP-DVI cable or​
DP-DVI adapter + DVI-DVI cable or​
DP-DP cable + DP-DVI adapter.​
Note - DP-DVI cable and adapters are unidirectional (work only in one direction). So, if you try to use opposite direction adapter, it will not work.
There are different quality adapters though. Not all of them can support 4k@60Hz. Those, that can, usually are more expensive.

Last edited:

terky

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Just to clarify - connector on graphics card is output, connector on monitor is input.

There are DP-DVI cables (with adapter built in).
There's no difference, if you use -
DP-DVI cable or​
DP-DVI adapter + DVI-DVI cable or​
DP-DP cable + DP-DVI adapter.​
Note - DP-DVI cable and adapters are unidirectional (work only in one direction). So, if you try to use opposite direction adapter, it will not work.
There are different quality adapters though. Not all of them can support 4k@60Hz. Those, that can, usually are more expensive.
Really complete reply, appreciated though. I just heard DP is the best way to connect graphic card with monitor, but my monitor hasn't this type of input so that's why i wanted to get an adapter to do it.

I guess it's not worth right?

thank you!

If your graphics card has DVI output and monitor has DVI input, then use DVI-DVI cable. There's no quality difference on 1080p screen, when using either DVI or DP connection. Main difference is - DP would carry audio also.

BTW - you didn't specify precise RX 480 model name. There are different RX 480 models and some don't have DVI output. So it was not clear, if your model has DVI output or not.

And no - using adapter is not worth it, if you have DVI-DVI connection option. Because it adds cost and high quality DP-DVI 4k@60Hz adapters are pretty expensive.

terky

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
If your graphics card has DVI output and monitor has DVI input, then use DVI-DVI cable. There's no quality difference on 1080p screen, when using either DVI or DP connection. Main difference is - DP would carry audio also.

BTW - you didn't specify precise RX 480 model name. There are different RX 480 models and some don't have DVI output. So it was not clear, if your model has DVI output or not.

And no - using adapter is not worth it, if you have DVI-DVI connection option. Because it adds cost and high quality DP-DVI 4k@60Hz adapters are pretty expensive.

It is the Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4 GB and i had to get an adapter from the output DVI to the input monitor, maybe becouse monitor DVI is different than the graphic card?
Attached image of rx480

Bi1laEH.png