Question Conversion p.m.p.o. to r.m.s.

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
So my old speakers have pmpo rating of 140 W .
How much that is when it comes to compare it to rms.
Are 14 Watt RMS higher or lower then that ?
Thanks for the info,
Cheers,

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
PMPO is a useless measure.
RMS is a useful standard.
PMPO means the speaker can handle that wattage for a very small time, microsecond.
RMS is measured over a longer time and is more accurate way of measuring the output.
PMPO is marketing to make an inferior item look better than it actually is.

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
PMPO is a useless measure.
RMS is a useful standard.
PMPO means the speaker can handle that wattage for a very small time, microsecond.
RMS is measured over a longer time and is more accurate way of measuring the output.
PMPO is marketing to make an inferior item look better than it actually is.
I know that, i am asking for the conversion rate because i have speakers which doesn't have rms rating only pmpo one.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
one is a made up number the other is a measure of actual use.
you cannot compare dollars to neptunian credits. one is real the other is imaginary.

PMPO is a useless measure, as such my headphones can handle 1000W PMPO for a millisecond that does not make them 1000W capable.
pull a number out of the air and add PMPO and you are technically right, any number.

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
There isn't a conversion. Likely the RMS is not good and they didn't want to advertise it.
one is a made up number the other is a measure of actual use.
you cannot compare dollars to neptunian credits. one is real the other is imaginary.

PMPO is a useless measure, as such my headphones can handle 1000W PMPO for a millisecond that does not make them 1000W capable.
pull a number out of the air and add PMPO and you are technically right, any number.
I know all of that. But i do not want to buy weaker speakers then i already have.
Is 140W pmpo higher or lower then 14W rms ?