Question Convert A logical Partition to primary

May 6, 2019
Mates computer boots into win7 located on a logical partition. If I convert to a primary will it still boot? Partition 1 is a primary but was XP.. Menu offers win7 only. I want to remove the old partition and merge it.
Old OS is Drive E: - Win7 is Drive C:

May 6, 2019
some screenshots of the disk management screen will help figure out what the current set-up is and what can be done to it.

imgur is a good place to upload pics if you need a place to do it.

Sorry, Wasn't notified of a reply

Fixing this Computer for a friend.

Computer booted into Win7 - fixed the issue here, but found 100gb missing
Using partition manager ,found it as the 1st partition and had no drive letter.
Reestablished it as the E: Drive. It had the old WinXP OS and was a primary partition.
Dicovered that Win7 was on the 2nd partiton as the C: Drive, but was on a logical partiton.

As I understand it, OS's can't run from a logical partition, so somehow the computer is being directed to boot the Win7 OS - I'm thinking via the partition 1. There is a menu that offers Win7 only. The boot.ini file on partition 1 does not refer to it.
At this point decided to leave well enough alone, Could have converted partition 2 to primary and deleted partition 1, but didn't not knowing the implications of this.
How would a screen shot reveal more?, and have handed the computer back now anyway.
thx Demac

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a screenshot of the disk management screen would let me see what you are seeing. helps to full understand what i am trying to troubleshoot. what partitions are there, what order they are in and how windows sees them is important overall. you're description is ok but not as good as actually seeing it.

you have it in front of you now but could you have walked your friend through this over the phone? he'd read off all kinds of info you asked for but in the end, sitting in front of it is what really makes the difference. that's where i am sitting, only reading it. but glad you got it somewhat sorted and running either way

May 6, 2019
Yeah thx, I felt that tinkering with it might upset things and prevent it from booting the OS.
Not sure what someone did to create this arrangement. It's a 10 year old computer, the ethernet port has failed and they will upgrade before long anyway.
Demac