[SOLVED] Convert a RAID 1 into a single disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nite01

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
When I setup my pc a few years ago(8 or 9) I created a RAID 1 stack using 2x 120gb ssds where I installed the OS.

Now, one of those two SSD is failing (according to some SMART report). I'd like to just replace those SSDs with a single SSD without any RAID configuration.
I really don't remember how I even set this up in the first place.

This is a picture of the bios, in the storage section : View: https://imgur.com/6q91NUH

In Windows (10), I have another software called Intel Rapid Storage Technology, which I guess manages the RAID (As I said, I really have no idea how this works anymore).
This is a screenshot of it : View: https://imgur.com/B0naWrj

Now, what should I do to just replace those SSDs with a single new SSD, keeping all the OS system data as it is ?

I was thinking to just copy\paste the content of this RAID into the new SSD... but then what should I change in the bios ?
What about the Rapid Storage software ?

Thanks

Solution
Yes...no RAID in the BIOS.

Cloning this RAID thing to a new single drive also brings along all the old gunk in this current install.
Really....just start over with a clean install.

Nite01

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
What, specifically is on this, besides Windows?

I'd seriously consider just starting over, with a fresh install on a new single drive of sufficient size.

There is only the OS basically, but I'd like to just keep it as it is... to avoid reinstalling every single software, settings, etc...

Also, in case I went for that solution, how would I go for the bios part ? Is it enough to just set the Sata mode to non-raid ?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

Cloning this RAID thing to a new single drive also brings along all the old gunk in this current install.

Solution

Nite01

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021

Hi again,
Im sorry for re-opening this... anyway I finally made up my mind to do a clean install and I have a question :

After I install Windows again, should I install the original motherboard drivers ? Or the ones Windows will find by itself will be ok ?
I am asking because the motherboard is several years old, and the drivers on the manufacture website are about 7 years old as well....
I have this model : https://www.asus.com/SupportOnly/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

The drivers I used to install were the LAN\Chipset\Audio ones.

Thanks

Nite01

Prominent
Jul 10, 2021
You have to install latest version of Intel chipset drivers,
then install lan, audio, sata and vga drivers.
After that windows update may find and suggest installing newer driver versions.

Just to make it clear, when you say latest version of Intel chipset drivers, do you mean the ones in the Asus support page (its from 2015) ?

Just to make it clear, when you say latest version of Intel chipset drivers, do you mean the ones in the Asus support page (its from 2015) ?
You can get the latest chipset drivers directly from Intel, but, honestly, you could also just stick with the chipset drivers in the latest Windows 10 build.
If you're using onboard audio you can just use the Windows drivers for that too.
For your GPU you'll want the latest from either AMD or NVIDIA.

Over the last 5-10 years, Windows has gotten MUCH better on their driver support for base system components. Go into device manager after a full Windows install (with online updates) and see if there's anything that is missing drivers. Focus on those items and your GPU and you'll be all set.

Reactions: Nite01
.....Over the last 5-10 years, Windows has gotten MUCH better on their driver support for base system components.....
Keep in mind that Microsoft does not write drivers. Those initial drivers are provided by the various manufacturers at Microsoft's request. They differ from what's available from the manufacturer's sites in that they are just the basics with no fancy control panels or extra functions, only what is necessary to make the hardware function (that's Microsoft's requirements for inclusion in Windows). You can run a system just fine with those alone.

Keep in mind that Microsoft does not write drivers. Those initial drivers are provided by the various manufacturers at Microsoft's request. They differ from what's available from the manufacturer's sites in that they are just the basics with no fancy control panels or extra functions, only what is necessary to make the hardware function (that's Microsoft's requirements for inclusion in Windows). You can run a system just fine with those alone.
Of course. They are drivers created by the component mfg., built to Microsoft's specs. One of the best things about these base drivers is that they don't have any extra apps attached to their install.

Do you really NEED the full Realtek driver suite from your motherboard manufacturer? It'll just run extra, useless realtek programs in the background, without ANY improvement in sound quality. ;)

Do I not understand?
Raid 1 is mirroring.
Namely the exact same image on each of the two drives.
Could you simply remove the failing drive?

If your OS is working properly and if it is a pain to reinstall apps, I see no urgent need to reinstall the OS.

As to replacing the drive with a presumably larger drive, why not use the samsung ssd migration app to copy the C drive to a larger samsung ssd?

Your original 2 drives would remain unchanged in case there were some issue with the process, making it a risk free thing to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.