[SOLVED] convert external hdd to nas

Jan 15, 2019
Hi,
I have 3 8TB external HDDs and want to convert it to NAS, but I'm affraid to lose any data on my external HDD.

Is there a safe way to avoid data loss?

Thanks.

Solution
Need a bit more details about your plans, a NAS is simply Network Attached Storage, you can set that up in many ways. If you don't format the drives you won't lose any data. To avoid data loss you make backups. If you don't have backups of your files, do that now.

You can share out those drives using a computer, plug them into a router with USB ports for storage. Removing the disks from the enclosures is riskier since many external drives depend on the electronics to run properly, some for encryption, some for working the the large disk sizes, some due to custom SATA connections on the board, etc...
Need a bit more details about your plans, a NAS is simply Network Attached Storage, you can set that up in many ways. If you don't format the drives you won't lose any data. To avoid data loss you make backups. If you don't have backups of your files, do that now.

You can share out those drives using a computer, plug them into a router with USB ports for storage. Removing the disks from the enclosures is riskier since many external drives depend on the electronics to run properly, some for encryption, some for working the the large disk sizes, some due to custom SATA connections on the board, etc...

Solution