Convert mpg to something small and streamable

I created a movie file as a Christmas present for my family last year and it
is about 275mb in size, but is only about a 6 minute clip. I would like to
convert it to something much smaller so that I can put it on a website and
stream it. I tried Realplayer and got it down to 9mb, which is great...but
rm is not super-widely used. I would like wmv or ??, but not sure which
direction to go and how to get there. Any ideas or suggestions would be
very much appreciated!

thanks in advance,
Bill

"Bill Unger" <bill@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<108om2eb65v5o30@corp.supernews.com>...
> I created a movie file as a Christmas present for my family last year and it
> is about 275mb in size, but is only about a 6 minute clip. I would like to
> convert it to something much smaller so that I can put it on a website and
> stream it. I tried Realplayer and got it down to 9mb, which is great...but
> rm is not super-widely used. I would like wmv or ??, but not sure which
> direction to go and how to get there. Any ideas or suggestions would be
> very much appreciated!
>
> thanks in advance,
> Bill

Easiest and free way I found was to type in exactly what your after in
an engine like google. Something like this:

AVI to wmv freeware

You will get a bunch of listings and choose which one is appropriate.
This way you can trial what works best for you.

Mpeg will play in most players but file size is too big so the best
way (if you have server space) is to offer options.
ie. files for Windows Media Player, RealPlayer and QuickTime

You can convert the avi's to .swf format and the users browser will
open and stream the video whether they are mac or pc users

As for technical specs, if you want one file to cover all connection
speed then u need to go with a data rate of around 40kb, window size
of 160 x 120 and a frame rate of 5 to 6 frames per second.

hope that helps
Mark
http://www.kmsvideo.com
http://video-production-mastery.com

Ps. type avi to swf into google an see what you get... i was going to
but too tired now so going to bed.

> stream it. I tried Realplayer and got it down to 9mb, which is
great...but
> rm is not super-widely used. I would like wmv or ??, but not sure
which
> direction to go and how to get there. Any ideas or suggestions would
be
> very much appreciated!

I have been very impressed with wmv files and I'm no fan of M$. I have
found encoding to wmv format and adjusting the frame rate down from
29.97 to 15-20 helps tremendously. You might find this site helpful:

http://www.video2stream.com/webtest.htm

Good luck.

Mark,

Thanks for the info!!

Google is my best friend, but for something like this I was looking for
recommendations based on what people have already used... much easier than
downloading, installing, testing, removing, downloading, installing,
testing, removing, etc... until I come across something. No use reinventing
the wheel! :)

Thanks!