Convert SATA IDE to AHCI on Vista?

TexasVol

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
I am running Vista Premium on a SATA drive today, but the manufacturer configured it as "IDE". I would like to switch to "AHCI", which is supported by my motherboard and BIOS.

I changed, but Windows would not boot (said some hardware had changed, needed to repair).

So I switched back for now.

After reading the sticky, is there way I can convert from IDE to AHCI without going out an purchasing a separate controller card? Can I just need to boot off the Vista DVD and tell it to repair? I certainly dont want to trash my existing install.

TexasVol

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007

TexasVol

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
And tested this last night. It worked like a champ. I edited the registry to enable the driver. Rebooted, catching the BIOS screen to change to AHCI. BAM! It is running using AHCI now.

G

This worked with windows 7 64bit just fine which means it will also work with the 32bit version. When windows installed it's default ahci driver I manually updated the ahci driver that came with my motherboard.

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

I am digging up this old thread since this was the first result when I Googled "IDE to AHCI".

I just bought my Win7 rig from a system builder, and I read that they don't enable AHCI by default, so I looked into the BIOS and saw that was, in fact, the case. So I changed it. Watching those little colored balls freeze in midair and get the BSOD flash on the screen before going black made my stomach jump into my throat.

Read the KB you linked to (which now lists Win7 as an applicable OS) and followed the instructions. Took only a minute to change the registry and voila! Win7 booted and loaded the AHCI drivers and runs, like you said, like a champ. Thanks!

VSP

yohanofut

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
I'm also running Vista, having the same issue, but enabling the drivers in the registry is not working for me either. I've tried a number of configurations and the closest I can get is just past the vista green loading bar, then the system hangs. In safe mode, I can see the system hanging on the storport.sys driver. So...bump.
I should probably add that I installed Vista 32bit in 2008 while in Native IDE mode on a WD Raptor. I have a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H with the 690G SB600 chips. I am trying to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS.