Convert USB 3.0 port to USB 2.0 mode for laptop

rkattar

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
Hi All,

My laptop Asus ROG GL502VS has only USb 3.0 ports. I have created a windows 7 to go disk, but it only boots up using USB 2.0.

Using 3.0, I get a BSOD. Could someone please tell me if there is any external adapter/converter for laptops to convert usb 3.0 port to usb 2.0 mode? Thanks

possible answers I looked for on google for you

1. You should be able to disable USB 3.0 inside your BIOS screen.

2. There is no need to disable USB 3.0 in order to get a USB2 device working. Electrically speaking, the legacy USB2 works in parallel with new USB3, over a separate set of legacy wires (D+, D-, sharing GND and VBUS with USB3). Therefore, when a USB2 device is plugged in, USB3 section will have no connect and no effect, and the communication should proceed over the legacy wires.

3. USB3 ports are under control of a different controller, xHCI, which also supports USB2 operations, but with a new xHCI driver. If the software for the old proprietary USB2 device is written without regard for system driver-device application interface and somehow expects specific old controller (EHCI), the simple disabling the xHCI controller might be of no help.

4. Went into my laptop's Hardware Setup Utility and simply disabled the Internal USB 3.0 Controller.  That reverted my USB
ports back to USB 2.0 which XP Mode will recognize.  I re-booted my laptop, re-launched my XP Mode and was able to attach my dongle as well as a Serial-to-USB converter cable to run my old plotter and get to work!

rkattar

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015

Yes indeed. I read in few places that Win 7 does not have usb 3.0 drivers. However, I have installed the usb 3.0 drivers for the win 7 to go disk in another laptop. If I use the pen drive in that laptop, using usb 2.0 it boots up perfectly. However using usb 3.0 getting BSOD. Tried in the asus laptop which has only usb 3.0 and I am getting BSOD.

rkattar

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015

Hello,

I tried searching for an option to disable usb 3.0 or enable 2.0 mode in my bios at startup, but in vain. The only thing I could find under usb was to enable legacy mode which was already done.

rkattar

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015

Could you please let me know how to get into the hardware setup utility for Asus GL502VS?