[SOLVED] Convert USB Printer to a Network Printer ?

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
I currenly have a USB printer attached to my PC and have made it available across the Network but I'm not overly happy about the permissions I have to give on my PC and if it's switched off no one else can't print..

There are quite a few options of USB to RJ45 converter that I could then plug ito a switch on the network or using something like a Vonets WiFi Bridge to connect it wirelessly.

Would these work or do I need to buy a seperate converter / print server so it can be seen on the Network or are there any other options available taht would work?

Last edited:
Solution
I currenly have a USB printer attached to my PC and have made it available across the Network but I'm not overly happy about the permissions I have to give on my PC and if it's switched off no one else can't print..

There are quite a few options of USB to RJ45 converter that I could then plug ito a switch on the network or using something like a Vonets WiFi Bridge to connect it wirelessly.

Would these work or do I need to buy a seperate converter / print server so it can be seen on the Network or are there any other options available taht would work?
If it is just a printer, not a printer/scanner then I would recommend a $20 asus RT-N56U router from E-Bay. Set it as an AP. Get extra WIFI, an ethernet switch and print...

kanewolf

Titan

If it is just a printer, not a printer/scanner then I would recommend a $20 asus RT-N56U router from E-Bay. Set it as an AP. Get extra WIFI, an ethernet switch and print server all in one.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
Cheers for the replies ... I had a look for the RT-N56U router and it looks like it's end of life / out of stock, I did find a few 2nd hand ones on e-bay but they were all in the US, none for sale in the UK.

I'll have a look around and see what else I can find / get a print server.

kanewolf

Titan
Cheers for the replies ... I had a look for the RT-N56U router and it looks like it's end of life / out of stock, I did find a few 2nd hand ones on e-bay but they were all in the US, none for sale in the UK.

I'll have a look around and see what else I can find / get a print server.
Yes, they are old but very reliable. I picked that because they are usually plentiful on E-Bay for $20.
As @SamirD said almost any Asus router will support a USB printer. Find a cheap used one.

Reactions: SamirD