Convert vid file to play out of ADVC-100?

I have various video files that I would like to convert to the canopus
DV format, so that they play out of the composite port in whatever
video app I happen to be using, on PC or Mac. Are there any specific
settings I should adhere to?

Thanks
--
steveevans AT clara DOT co DOT uk

> I have various video files that I would like to convert to the canopus
> DV format, so that they play out of the composite port in whatever
> video app I happen to be using, on PC or Mac. Are there any specific
> settings I should adhere to?

You mean use the ADVC-100 output? Anything will work as long as the
video editor supports external DV device preview of the video -- AVI,
MPEG, etc. - whatever gets dropped onto the timeline and previewed.
With this method, not all files will preview in real-time.

Otherwise, if you're doing a 'print to tape' or wanting real-time
playback through the ADVC-100 output, then you'll have to have a single
DV AVI file on the HD ready to go.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:13:25 +0100, Steve Evans <no@spam> wrote:

>I have various video files that I would like to convert to the canopus
>DV format, so that they play out of the composite port in whatever
>video app I happen to be using, on PC or Mac. Are there any specific
>settings I should adhere to?

Codec=DV
Resolution=720x480 (NTSC)
Fram rate=29.97 frames per second (NTSC)
Sound sampling rate=48 KHz, 16 bit resolution
Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:06:29 -0400, Neil Nadelman
<arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:13:25 +0100, Steve Evans <no@spam> wrote:
>
>>I have various video files that I would like to convert to the canopus
>>DV format, so that they play out of the composite port in whatever
>>video app I happen to be using, on PC or Mac. Are there any specific
>>settings I should adhere to?
>
>Codec=DV
>Resolution=720x480 (NTSC)
>Fram rate=29.97 frames per second (NTSC)
>Sound sampling rate=48 KHz, 16 bit resolution

But aren't there multiple variations on the DV format, hence the DV
convertor on the canopus site?

--

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:14:12 +0100, Steve Evans <no@spam> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:06:29 -0400, Neil Nadelman
><arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:13:25 +0100, Steve Evans <no@spam> wrote:
>>
>>>I have various video files that I would like to convert to the canopus
>>>DV format, so that they play out of the composite port in whatever
>>>video app I happen to be using, on PC or Mac. Are there any specific
>>>settings I should adhere to?
>>
>>Codec=DV
>>Resolution=720x480 (NTSC)
>>Fram rate=29.97 frames per second (NTSC)
>>Sound sampling rate=48 KHz, 16 bit resolution
>
>But aren't there multiple variations on the DV format, hence the DV
>convertor on the canopus site?

Not really. There's type 1 and type 2, but pretty much any program
that is made to send DV out to a camera will be able to send them out
to your Canopus box. The problems with variations only crop up when
you use editing software, since Premiere and Vegas prefer Type 2 and
Ulead Media Studio preferred Type 1. Just output your files using
these standard parameters and you'll be able to send them out through
the Canopus box just fine.