Converted HDD from Basic to Dynamic and doesn't boot now

Kohwali

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
So I find out that I've created too many partitions and that a dynamic disk could cause issues with booting up. So I delete the partition I've made and I'm back down to having 3 disk partitions, not including the System Reserved. I restart my computer and BOOM, it won't boot up. What do I do?

The irony in all of this is that I originally tried creating another partition so I could do a system backup onto it.

EDIT: Using Windows 7

Kohwali

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

Yeah I've tried spamming F8 during boot, but nothing comes up. And I'm using Windows 7

Kohwali

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
I created a Windows 8 stick a while back so I'm able to access System Restore, System Image Recovery, Startup Repair, and Command Prompt through there. I tried Startup Repair and it didn't work.

I don't think any of the first three will work because as far as I know, the issue is that the hard drive is a dynamic disk.

Kohwali

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

I tried these out and ended up getting a message saying that it doesn't recognize any Windows installations.

Kohwali

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

Right so originally I shrank one of my volumes by 70 GB to create a new partition (for a system backup). When I was formatting the new volume in Disk Management, I got a warning about the disk becoming dynamic. As the genius I am, I ignored it. Afterwards I took a look in Disk Management, and all my partitions except System Reserved were dynamic. I became worried and Googled, confirming my fears that this would indeed not boot up. So I deleted the 70GB partition and added that back to the original partition from where it came. I tried restarting and here we are.

Kohwali

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

I actually did get that program installed before I restarted my PC. However, EaseUS said my partitions were simple (the yellow-gold color and didn't give the option of converting to basic), but Disk Management said they were dynamic.

EDIT: I'm actually really confused because although the commands you gave me didn't seem to recognize any Windows Installations, my Windows 8 boot stick seems to recognize it as it gives me the option of "Exit and continue to Windows 7" which leads me to a black screen with a blinking cursor.

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
You need access to a computer and flash drive, download YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator in the drop down find Hiren's Boot CD choose the download option, once downloaded burn to flash. Boot from flash drive and select "mini xp" this boots XP into memory, now we are at the point of 'theoretically" at this you you can use EaseUS Partition Master to convert dynamic to basic without data loss, I can attest to EaseUS being able to do conversion, used it multiple times, but I've only used from a bootable system never from "mini-xp"..

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/
http://download.easeus.com/trial/epm_trial.exe
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
And worse case from mini-xp you should be able to to gain full access and save anything critical if/when you decide to give in, and that now is as a good as time as any to clean out the cobwebs and go for a shiny new os install..

Kohwali

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

Okay so I've followed these steps, but it's only recognizing my USB stick (not my hard drive). I've opened up Partition Wizard and I only see my USB drive in here.

TRENDING THREADS