Converting home videos

I'm trying to convert some home videos from an older Canon 8mm
camcorder to DVD, using Windows XP Pro with 256 MB of RAM, an AMD
Athlon XP 2200+ CPU, and a 120 GB hard drive.

I currently have a Pinnacle Linx USB video capture device and am using
Pinnacle Studio 9 with the latest updates.

I converted about 2 hours of video, did some editing with Studio,
added a chapter menu, and made the DVD.

Unfortunately, the video quality is not quite as good as I had
expected (there seem to be a lot of missing frames), and the audio is
not in sync with the video.

I'm guessing the problems lie with the Linx USB device, so I am
looking at alternatives. I have found an ATI Radeon 9200 VIVO card,
KWorld's Xpert DVD Maker PCI Card, and an ADS Instant DVD USB device
within my price range (below $80, but preferrably below $50).

Would any of these devices work better than what I am currently using?
Or am I going in the the wrong direction to try to make improvements?
(ie: should I be looking at different software instead?)

Thanks,
Trevor

Trevor Holyoak wrote:

> I'm guessing the problems lie with the Linx USB device, so I am
> looking at alternatives. I have found an ATI Radeon 9200 VIVO card,
> KWorld's Xpert DVD Maker PCI Card, and an ADS Instant DVD USB device
> within my price range (below $80, but preferrably below $50).
>
> Would any of these devices work better than what I am currently using?
> Or am I going in the the wrong direction to try to make improvements?
> (ie: should I be looking at different software instead?)

How does your video look right after it's captured? (Before doing
anything with Studio)

I'd recommend a device that does DV capture in hardware.
The Canopus ADVC (50,100,300) units are highly recommended.
I have a Pinnacle Deluxe card which has about the same functionality and
it works great for me.

You'll probably end up paying more than $100, but you get what you pay for.

-WD

Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in

> Trevor Holyoak wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing the problems lie with the Linx USB device, so I am
>> looking at alternatives. I have found an ATI Radeon 9200 VIVO card,
>> KWorld's Xpert DVD Maker PCI Card, and an ADS Instant DVD USB device
>> within my price range (below $80, but preferrably below $50).
>>
>> Would any of these devices work better than what I am currently
>> using? Or am I going in the the wrong direction to try to make
>> improvements? (ie: should I be looking at different software
>> instead?)
>
> How does your video look right after it's captured? (Before doing
> anything with Studio)
>
> I'd recommend a device that does DV capture in hardware.
> The Canopus ADVC (50,100,300) units are highly recommended.
> I have a Pinnacle Deluxe card which has about the same functionality
> and it works great for me.
>
> You'll probably end up paying more than $100, but you get what you pay
> for.

Yes, DV capture is the best way to go. Either a miniDV camcorder that
does pass-thru or a stand alone box. I've seen a stand alone box
(firewire interface) for $199 at Fryes.

--
Tim.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

TRENDING THREADS