Question Converting my tablet to set top - question on display and power switch

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
My Android tablet has a broken power switch. Once the tablet was powered off, it took many tries and with some luck, it powered on again. It is a paper weigh right now. It has HDMI out which makes me think that I can easily convert it to a set top box. I need help on two questions
  1. If I am connecting the HDMI out to my TV, I want to disconnect my tablet screen. I opened the tablet already. I saw the screen flat cable connector. I am wondering if I can just disconnect it. Will that cause any problem to the screen driving circuitry when I run the tablet as a set top box for hours ?
  2. I saw 3 solder points on the power switch. I think a regular on/off only require 2 points. Is there any standard circuit diagram for tablet on/off ? I will need to remove that bad switch and replace it with an external toggle switch so that I can turn it on and off easily.

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
  1. you will need to try it, theres off chance that linux boot will get stuck
  2. 3pin momentary push button is single pole, double throw (SPDT) , you can google this sentence to get some bigger momentary push button alternative
Thanks, I'll try once I figure out how to replace the power switch and update.
I think a SPDT switch is "common to A" or "common to B" depending on which way you flip the switch. I am a little confused how a single push of the power button can provide the double throw ? When it works, I just push the button, the tablet will power on. If I push it when the tablet is already on, it will ask me if I want to power off the tablet. But I think the later part is software control.

TRENDING THREADS