[SOLVED] Converting old PC to DIY NAS

Nov 18, 2019
I have a Dell Inspiron 570 that is no longer in use because I recently built a PC. I use a WD My Book Live as a NAS in my home network. I want to replace it with a newer NAS setup because although it is functioning perfectly, it is close to 9 years old. I'm wondering if I should buy a Synology and put drives in it, buy a newer version of WD Book, or convert my old PC into a DIY NAS. Here are the details:

Use of current NAS:
  1. Store RAW photo files, store processed photos.
  2. Store music.
  3. Store important documents.
  4. Use case: see/edit photos from other PCs within home network, use DLNA to see photos on existing devices, see/edit documents from other devices within home network. No remote access.
  5. Future storage requirements: about 2-3TB (I primarily store photos, no movies, etc.). Access to media from other devices is primary use.
  6. Periodic, manual backups to a USB external drive using synctoy.
Old PC configuration:
AMD Athlon X2 II
8GB RAM
256GB SSD
I think the ethernet port is gigabit (whatever came with Inspiron 570)
If converted into NAS, I plan to put 2 HDDs of 2/4TB each, possibly in a RAID1 config. Upgrade later if needed.

Why I'm thinking DIY NAS: money and reusing what I have. Its that simple.

My concerns:
  1. Power consumption: I know it will be higher if I used my old PC, but how much higher? What can I do to reduce consumption, especially at idle time?
  2. The old PC works just fine. But I'm wondering if I should buy a better/more powerful PSU for this, not sure how much the Dell one can handle.
  3. Size: having a tower means I cannot tuck the NAS in a shelf.
  4. Price: 2-bay diskless enclosure will be $150. Old PC is free. Both will require HDDs.
  5. Although I've built a PC successfully, I have never set up a RAID or a specific OS for NAS. I plan to use OpenMediaVault, although FreeNAS is also OK.
  6. The plug-n-play vs having to tinker every time I want to change something.
Suggestions?

Solution
Regarding the RAID 1...don't rely on that for data protection. It is ONLY for physical drive redundancy, and only if you really need 24/7 uptime.
Your data needs an actual backup.

Now, to your question:
Building a home NAS from an old PC can certainly work. Doesn't need to be powerful.

What something like a Synology or QNAP gives you is a comprehensive software suite. Much easier config and maintenance.
The DIY is certainly cheaper, since you already have most or all of the parts needed.

Several years ago I did exactly the same as you. Repurpose an old system as the house server.
Later (2017), wanting to upgrade that, a 4 bay QNAP won the contest hands down.

USAFRet

Titan
Regarding the RAID 1...don't rely on that for data protection. It is ONLY for physical drive redundancy, and only if you really need 24/7 uptime.
Your data needs an actual backup.

Now, to your question:
Building a home NAS from an old PC can certainly work. Doesn't need to be powerful.

What something like a Synology or QNAP gives you is a comprehensive software suite. Much easier config and maintenance.
The DIY is certainly cheaper, since you already have most or all of the parts needed.

Several years ago I did exactly the same as you. Repurpose an old system as the house server.
Later (2017), wanting to upgrade that, a 4 bay QNAP won the contest hands down.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS