Question Converting or lowering an inverter Air conditioner to an non-inverter Air conditioner ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Let's start with the product you are talking about, and then what you want it to do that it isn't capable of now.

I can't imagine any scenario where I would want an AC unit that has an inverter involved. Air Conditioner unit that runs on DC?

In such a case, presumably you could connect AC directly after the inverter and then it would operate normally. To avoid issues you would want to disconnect the inverter portion of the circuit.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, the motor is a permanent magnet or induction motor, they are using the inverter to control speed (torque probably)

Thought it odd they would need an inverter for an AC unit when they are typically plugged directly into AC for the motor, blower, etc. I was thinking of maybe like an RV or Semi trailer AC unit that runs off big 12V/24V batteries.

No there would be little chance of making this work without gutting it completely. With a motor controller involved it is likely to be all digital. The motor windings might not be capable of withstanding AC at circuit output. If it were a three pole motor, might work though. 4-pole, 6-pole, etc would likely just freeze up with AC applied.

You could add a capacitor across the windings and maybe get enough offset to get it spinning, who knows how fast it would go though, might spin itself apart.