Converting Raid 10 to Raid 1

Focalspirit

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Hi, My current setup is that my OS and other important installed files are all installed in my raid 10 array, however, I need the 2 drives (ssd) in the array for something else, is there a way to convert my existing raid 10 to raid 1? or do I need to clean install? Can I just backup my drive C, then reformat my raid to configure it to raid 1 then put my backup back? My OS is windows server 2012 r2. My raid controller is the Avago Megaraid 3108, and the server brand is Supermicro. Any suggestions will be nice too, Thanks!

Solution
Most onboard RAID controllers offer little to no function for RAID migration. You'll most likely need to backup the data and re-create it. Besides, moving from RAID 10 to RAID 1 is quite difficult as it needs to destripe the array and write it back to the drives. Only very high end controllers support this.

JaredDM

Honorable
Most onboard RAID controllers offer little to no function for RAID migration. You'll most likely need to backup the data and re-create it. Besides, moving from RAID 10 to RAID 1 is quite difficult as it needs to destripe the array and write it back to the drives. Only very high end controllers support this.

Solution

Focalspirit

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

Thanks for the reply! Are there any third party programs for this? and will it be fine to backup my drive C (OS and different installed programs) and restore it without any problems into a different raid? thanks!